Cake Muggles Are Bad, But...

Decorating By mcaulir Updated 5 Oct 2011 , 5:54pm by cakesbycathy

mcaulir Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 10:48am
post #1 of 12

people with a little cake knowledge are worse!

Had an email from a lady last December for a birthday cake for next weekend. I won't go into the whole saga, but suffice to say, she is a cake maker herself, she says, but just doesn't have time to make a two tier birthday cake for her daughter.

It's an "In the Night Garden" cake: no, wait, it's a mermaid cake: no, wait, just plain iced and I'll decorate it myself. It's this weekend, no it's last weekend, no it's both weekends. How much for this combination, how much for this combination.

Well, finally I get an email today, and I read it 3 times before I figure out she wants two plain cakes, covered in ganache only, one with happy birthday written on it.

I write back to confirm that is, indeed, what she wants, and three emails later, I work out what she actually wants to do is stack a 6" on top of an 8", stick chocolates on it for rocks, and make it into the base of a Rapunzel tower, which she will make out of cardboard and stick in the top of the cake.

So I explain about using supports in the bottom cake if she's going to stack them herself, and that ganache will dry hard before it gets to her and that she''ll need to use some chocolate icing or melted chocolate or something to stick her chocolates on it.

Oh, she replies, then do you have any other ideas about what I could do to make them look like the base of a tower? I'd make them myself, but I don't have time.

Yeah, but you have time to write me 11 million emails.

Argh! Just tell me you want the base of a tower, and I'd work something out.

People!

11 replies
DSmo Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 11:14am
post #2 of 12

Bwaahhaaahhaaaa!!!... oh... ahem. Sorry, I just thought back to experiences I've had with my day job clients and am sooooo glad this wasn't happening to me! My unsympathetic moment is over now. I am truly sorry you had to put up with her. I think, sometimes, all you can do is roll your eyes. I hope you have an IDEAL client next time. : )

QTCakes1 Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 1:10pm
post #3 of 12

I'm with Dsmo. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! YOur a saint for still replying to all those e-mails...or crazy! icon_biggrin.gif

kakeladi Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 1:42pm
post #4 of 12

This lady(?) wants to - no, *IS* micro managing the cake.
Tell her NO MORE changes allowed at this point. Y ou will make the cake to look like a 'base' as she has asked and *that's it!*.
Have you quoted a price? Next she will be in a tizzy over that saying something like "OH, but I can make it for 1/2 that!"
Tell her too bad but she doesnt have time and she is using up your time. Either come up w/the money or leave me alone.

cakesdivine Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 3:58pm
post #5 of 12

I don't ever do undecorated cakes because if they decorate and take credit for the cake they end up with future biz not you. If they screw up and put your name on it rather than claim it because is sucks you loose biz and possibly your reputation with some. Not worth the risk in my opinion.

diane Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 9:52pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

I don't ever do undecorated cakes because if they decorate and take credit for the cake they end up with future biz not you. If they screw up and put your name on it rather than claim it because is sucks you loose biz and possibly your reputation with some. Not worth the risk in my opinion.

This could go either way. People love the cake, but hate the decorating, but don't care and bring her future orders, or they will figure it out when she ends up baking a cake of her own and it tastes horrible! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

mcaulir Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 10:54pm
post #7 of 12

Well, this morning, she wants a square cake with purple fondant and a rapunzel face on it, and a round cake with the chocolates put on by me.

It's just getting funny at this point. She's been planning this cake for 10 months! How can she not have made a decision yet?

I think I won't email back until tonight - she probably will have changed her mind three times by then.

cakelady2266 Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 3:06am
post #8 of 12

mcaulir...sorry about the micro manager with only enough cake knowledge to make her dangerous. I wouldn't fool with her anymore, she is going to drive you crazy. I would have to need the money more than the aggravation. Maybe she is trying to drive all cake decorators in your area insane to corner the cake market. lol

And what caker doesn't have time to make their own kids cake? What is she doing all day?...I forgot......emailing.

Valkstar Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 2:03pm
post #9 of 12

You're so much more patient than I would be. I'd have had to email her by now to say I'm too busy for all these mails and that she could go somewhere else...I hope you put a pic of the finished cake - I'd love to see the final idea!

heyjules Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 5:43pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakelady2266

mcaulir...sorry about the micro manager with only enough cake knowledge to make her dangerous. I wouldn't fool with her anymore, she is going to drive you crazy. I would have to need the money more than the aggravation. Maybe she is trying to drive all cake decorators in your area insane to corner the cake market. lol

And what caker doesn't have time to make their own kids cake? What is she doing all day?...I forgot......emailing.

I actually laughed out loud at this comment. Thanks for that!

enchantedcreations Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 5:53pm
post #11 of 12

I started charging for "change up fees" the way a builder does to blue prints.......or whatever they call them. Your time is valuable.

cakesbycathy Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 5:54pm
post #12 of 12

IF you still want to do this order (and I can really see why you'd just tell her to take a flying leap) I would tell her that you need a definite theme by such-and-such a date and that NO changes can be made after that point.

I'd also be SUPER clear on the price so she doesn't make you crazy about that as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%