Servings Sizes For 2" Cakes?

Decorating By shaekae81 Updated 5 Oct 2011 , 11:28pm by BlakesCakes

shaekae81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shaekae81 Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 8:01am
post #1 of 6

Is there a serving chart for 2" tiers? All the charts I have found are for 2 layers of 2" cakes (total of 4") or 3" cakes....it's not as simple as just cutting the servings in half for the 4" -- is it? icon_confused.gif

I had a complaint that the customer "thought it would be bigger" even though we discussed servings and demensions. She's the only one who has complained but now I'm second guessing myself and would like to get opinions from yall icon_smile.gif

5 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 9:41am
post #2 of 6

The number of servings for a cake with 2" tiers is half that of the same size cake with 4" tiers.

Personally I find the suggested wedding cake serving size of 1"x2"x4" to be a little skimpy, and most of my customers have agreed, so they end up ordering extra servings once I show them how big a serving really is.

shaekae81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shaekae81 Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 11:34am
post #3 of 6

Thank you

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 12:14pm
post #4 of 6

They are perfectly fine portions for anyone that doesn't eat like a heffer. I use Wilton servings (cut in half for 2in), and never once in 7 years has anyone complained there wasn't enough cake. If you make good, rich cakes, there is no problem at all with that size - it's enough. Cake is meant as a dessert, not the entire meal icon_wink.gif!

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 5:18am
post #5 of 6

Yep! I tell my customers - it's the size of slice you are SUPPOSED to eat, not the Great American Wedge.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 11:28pm
post #6 of 6

I use the Wilton party size as my guideline. The difference is that the wedding size is 8 cubic inches of cake and the party size is 12 cubic inches of cake.

I also always tell people that they can make it what they want, but that I have to have a consistent way in which to determine pricing.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%