Really....ummm....wellll.....ok!?

Lounge By geri4292adams Updated 1 Jan 2012 , 3:36am by docofthedead

geri4292adams Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 4:14am
post #1 of 60

Ok this is just a little strange (for me atleast)...I've always kept a cake portfolio since pretty much my first cake. I know I'm not the best decorator. Anyways, I was visiting a friend of mine tonight and we were talking cake. There was a lady there who is also a decorator and asked to see my portfolio/album. I went and got it and when she started looking through the pictures she kept having this kind of strange look on her face and she kept making snide little noises and such. Af(ter she was done looking at it, she threw it down on the table and said ugh well you'll get better the more you practice....And then didnt hardly say anything else the rest of the night to me. I felt so mortified and just a little ticked off. I know she was just trying to make me doubt myself or that she was just being a complete (insert comment here), or maybe it was jealousy rearing it's ugly head again.....But it just struck me as soooo rude. How would yall have dealt with this situation. I sucked it up, but I really did want to confront her and give her a piece of my mind. My cakes are not that bad...I mean come on. Ugggghhhh some people get me so flustered.

59 replies
pastryjen Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 4:36am
post #2 of 60

Probably a little worried about the competition she sees! Did you ask to see her portfolio? I bet she didn't have it with her!

cakelady2266 Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 4:37am
post #3 of 60

I think the question should be "what would I have done AFTER I punched her in the mouth?" I guess go outside and wait for the cops, LOL. But seriously, I wouldn't give it much thought because that was just what Miss Opinion wants. Your cakes are fabulous, no lie you are truly very gifted. She was jealous and wants to screw with your head. Some people weren't raised to know any better. You just keep doing your thing and let the opinionated old bats fall where they may. And if you ever get the chance do something nice for her, it will eat her up.

ChristineCMC Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 4:49am
post #4 of 60

I think the woman was a major idiot. I looked in your gallery and your cakes are fabulous! Don't let her get you down or doubt yourself. You don't look like you need practice as it seems like you've perfected cake decorating! I thin it speaks volumes to the kind of person she is

Sorelle Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 5:02am
post #5 of 60

What an ugly thing to say. some people aren't happy unless they are making others unhappy. I checked out your cakes, they are great. I hope you don't lose any sleep over this.

Foxicakes Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 5:03am
post #6 of 60

There are a lot of insecure people in this world that find it hard to give ANYONE a compliment. I mean if you had been Collette Peters or Bronwen Weber showing her your work (and she had no clue what those ladies actually look like) she probably would have had the very same reaction. It's called jealousy... I think you handled it beautifully. You showed that you were the more mature woman.

By the way how WAS her book?? Or did she not have one?!!??

tbkimber Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 5:04am
post #7 of 60

Your cakes are beautiful so don't let her get to you! I think I would have told her that I didn't recall asking for her opinion. As far as her not speaking to you for the rest of the night, I can only say that you came out ahead. Just remember that her opinion is irrelevant. Your pictures speak for themselves and anyone (well any normal person) can see that you do beautiful work. Chin up, say "screw you" to her (in person if you want to), and keep on making great cakes.

geri4292adams Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 5:21am
post #8 of 60

Thanks everyone for such kind words. The lady didnt have a book (atleast not with herat the time). It just really struck me wrong by how she acted. I've never had anyone react that way to me about my cakes before, but you're all right, I think she was merely jealous or trying to make me feel less of a decorator than I am. thanks yall....I appreciate it.

Katiebelle74 Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 5:22am
post #9 of 60

Looked at your cakes before responding - you've got some really great ones!!! She's a big fat jerk. End of story.

UrsCor82 Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 5:25am
post #10 of 60

You have done some amazing work! Don't let any grumpy pants get to you icon_smile.gif

Rosie2 Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 7:37am
post #11 of 60

She's a rude jealous witch and she's also blind! you make beautiful cakes. If you see her again ask to see her portfolio...

Emmar308 Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 8:07am
post #12 of 60

Don't let her bitterness bother you, she was obviously jealous! Too many haters out there... example... at a family party recently my father in law commented on how the party cake was the best one i'd done so far (bear in mind he NEVER comments on my cakes) - i hadn't made that cake, it was a supermarket cheapy of Lightning McQueen!!!!! People are strange.....

Panel7124 Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 8:20am
post #13 of 60

It's only your clients' opinion on your cakes that matters to you and I am sure they are always very pleased and happy! Her reaction IMO is a clear sign of jealousy and insecurity, your cakes are beautiful!

cutiger Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 8:45am
post #14 of 60

She is jealous. Your cakes are awesome. You did the right thing by not going down to her level. She has to live with her bitter self, and you can look in the mirror and know you were the bigger person. Sometimes the best reply is to say nothing at all.

pixiefuncakes Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 9:35am
post #15 of 60

HER problem, she's obviously not a happy, 'glass half full' type, life is too short to let her kind take up too much of your time!

Megan1979 Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 10:18am
post #16 of 60

Oh my god what a complete cow. Some people are rude but the extent of hers shocks me. Did your friend say anything? I also had a look at your photo's and your cakes are fantastic and your flowers... WOW. To be like that she must be completely up herself or completely jealous.

RebelsLGB Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 10:51am
post #17 of 60

Just forget her!

My husband's cousin's fiance's mother (wow!) always tells me her daughters cupcakes are better than mine and she's going to give me a run for my money (not that I'm a legal business, but it is my goal to get there one day) like we are in cupcake wars or something lol.

I just smile and nod and walk away. Her daughters cupcakes are inedible, she over mixes her batter and under bakes the cake, nothing like a yummy hockey puck with a raw center! icon_wink.gif

DSmo Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 11:01am
post #18 of 60

I just don't get how she thought it was appropriate to respond to you and your talents that way. Even is she were a more experienced and/or more talented (highly doubtful) decorator, the appropriate response would have been to offer compliments on the positives and helpful tips on specific areas that could use improvement. Why she would want to be insulting rather than taking the opportunity to mentor is beyond me. The only explanation is that she is NOT superior. So then, the appropriate comments would have been, "Your work is lovely. I can see from your book that you've really improved over time. With practice, I can only hope that I reach your level of talent some day."

Panel7124 Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 11:04am
post #19 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelsLGB

Just forget her!

My husband's cousin's fiance's mother (wow!) always tells me her daughters cupcakes are better than mine and she's going to give me a run for my money (not that I'm a legal business, but it is my goal to get there one day) like we are in cupcake wars or something lol.

I just smile and nod and walk away. Her daughters cupcakes are inedible, she over mixes her batter and under bakes the cake, nothing like a yummy hockey puck with a raw center! icon_wink.gif

icon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gif cupcake wars made me laugh icon_wink.gif A substitute of Star Wars? It could be interesting to develop further - maybe for Hollywood film makers - joking! icon_smile.gif

DSmo Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 1:06pm
post #20 of 60
Quote:
Quote:

icon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gif cupcake wars made me laugh icon_wink.gif A substitute of Star Wars? It could be interesting to develop further - maybe for Hollywood film makers - joking! icon_smile.gif

It's a show on Food Network icon_wink.gif

Panel7124 Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 1:10pm
post #21 of 60

It's a show on Food Network icon_wink.gif[/quote]

soooory icon_lol.gif I didn't know, can't watch it on here.

aligotmatt Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 1:12pm
post #22 of 60

I have a book like that too. First picture is a weird brown and green cake with rotten bananas sitting next to it! hah. Then it progresses through my work. I honestly only show it to close friends and some family. I have another portfolio of my best work for impressing people.

But if I was showing my complete works of Alison book, I always narrate it for people, that way they laugh along with it and don't put it into my current ability section.

If someone was that rude to me, I would probably say something like, oh I know, there are so many skills I want to master, like my string work is not so good!

Adevag Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 1:36pm
post #23 of 60

So sorry someone had to make you feel bad.

I agree with DSmo that if she truly would have thought that you needed a lot of practice (but you don't), it was still very rude and unfriendly.

Had your cakes been full of flaws, her comment would still have been just as rude. Nobody likes to be talked to like that. There is nothing wrong with being a beginner and needing more practice. (Not towards you). No need for you to waste your time thinking about her childish behavior.

And who doesn't want to improve anyways? That's not what this was about. And your skills are great, your cakes are beautiful. She thought so too.

KASCARLETT Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 1:47pm
post #24 of 60

So sorry that happened to you. Don't give her one more thought. I think your cakes are great!

christeena Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 1:47pm
post #25 of 60

Jealousy makes even most rational people complete idiots and when it strikes irrational people , you get the response you got - jealousy mixed with stupidity and not a grain of truth in her comments! I don't even get to make my grandkids birthday cakes because the other grandma is jealous of my cakes so they get nasty grocery store cakes of which I do not touch - I am a total cake snob! Keep caking for those that appreciate your talents!

inspiredbymom Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 1:53pm
post #26 of 60

Jealous. If she was sincere, she should have offered helpful advice not attitude. I looked at your pics before posting. Your cakes are very nice. I wouldn't let it bother me. Of course, that is easier said than done sometimes! icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 1:54pm
post #27 of 60

Ditto what everyone else has said.
Of course!, she didn't have anything to show you. Most likely because she do not have anything to brag about - better than what you showed her.
Keep your chin up - you deserve all the pats on the back you have gotten here.

pastryjen Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 1:59pm
post #28 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by christeena

I don't even get to make my grandkids birthday cakes because the other grandma is jealous of my cakes so they get nasty grocery store cakes of which I do not touch - I am a total cake snob!

Wow...I can't believe it! Your grandkids don't ask for you to make them? I'd bring one along for their next birthday - say that the orders party got cancelled so you got stuck with the extra cake which happened to be your grandkid's favourite theme and you didn't want it to go to waste.

BTW - I'm a cake snob, too! I remind them constantly at work.

I decorate cakes in a "grocery store" type setting. I consistantly complain to the owners about their customers and why would they want a shower/wedding/extreme elegant cake from them? There is only so much you can do with gel pictures!

QTCakes1 Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 2:06pm
post #29 of 60

Next time something like that happens, start laughing. If someone was that rude to me I couldn't help, but laugh at their behavior. And then ask them while your laughing "Are you really been that rude or am I mistaken". Boy, will you piss somebody off with that! icon_twisted.gif

LNW Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 2:06pm
post #30 of 60

People like that are frustrating. You want to be the bigger person and not let them get to you, but it does. Your cakes are awesome and if the ones in your gallery were the ones in your portfolio then I dont see how she could have anything even remotely negative to say about your work. Unless of course shes a jealous cow, which I think has been established already.

Years ago I made a cake for my nieces birthday. She wanted a Barbie on the top and I knew I didnt have the skills to make one for her so I bought a little doll and used that as the topper. One of the party guests sought me out during the party just to tell me that her amazingly talented cake decorator friend would have made the Barbie by hand and would NEVER put a toy on top of a cake. I told her, great for your friend and walked away.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%