Tips For Using Ganache As Icing (Under Fondant)

Decorating By GracieJean Updated 4 Oct 2011 , 5:45pm by GracieJean

GracieJean Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 3:03am
post #1 of 5

After putting fondant on my first cake tonight I had a huge cake fart on the side. I've since searched the forums for info on that which led me to consider using ganache instead of buttercream. I don't like the taste of buttercream anyway (too...oily, blech!) and the cream cheese recipe I used instead of bc tonight tasted great with the raspberry filling I used but needs refrigerated and basically melted under the mmf.

I've found a simple ganache recipe with just chocolate and cream and it says to whip it if I want to use it as an icing. Any tips? Any experience with using ganache under mmf? Tips?

Do you think the cream cheese and the mmf just wouldn't work together anyway and that was asking for trouble? I want to use mmf because it's cheap, easy to make, and tastes good. Should it be rolled out thicker than reg fondant?

THanks icon_smile.gif

4 replies
ChelleW Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 3:18am
post #2 of 5

Ganache under fondant is great and tastes delicious!! Easy to do too! Someone on here advised me to check out Inspired by Michelle's tutorial on making and covering with ganache and it was so easy to follow - find her on Utube or her website is also really helpful!

DeniseNH Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 3:20am
post #3 of 5

Cream cheese icing is very loose and as it comes to room temp gets even looser. Whatever you put under MMF, it needs to be very thinly applied. It acts as a glue to hold the fondant in place. And I always use MMF - it can be rolled thinner than regular fondant but if your cake is a dark color (chocolate or red velvet) it's best to roll it a normal 1/4" thick.

icer101 Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 3:39am
post #4 of 5
GracieJean Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 5:45pm
post #5 of 5

Those videos were great icon_smile.gif They helped a lot and I can't wait to try it out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%