Fruit Flavored Buttercream??

Baking By sumerae Updated 6 Oct 2011 , 9:47pm by Torimomma

sumerae Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 11:43pm
post #1 of 14

That doesn't need to be refrigeratated...I've never done fruit flavored anything...so can anyone help me out with this?

How to do it, it needs to be yummy (of course) and can be used at room temp, how do I make it?

13 replies
Elcee Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 11:57pm
post #2 of 14

I replace the liquid in my bc with pureed fruit. I've done raspberry, strawberry and peach. For the raspberry and strawberry, I put it through a strainer to remove the seeds.

madcobbler Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 12:41am
post #3 of 14

Elcee,
Do you need to refridgerate the fruit buttercream? How long will the icing keep for? How much fruit puree do you use compared to liquid(is equal parts okay)? I'm very eager to try this.

kakeladi Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 12:46am
post #4 of 14

Use KoolAidicon_smile.gif It wll color and flavor the icing at the same time. I doesnt take much - usually just about 1/4 teaspoon per cup or so.
I usually do thsi when I want red icing icon_smile.gif I use Black Cherry, but some have told me strawberry gives it more color. I just dont care much for strawberry but love cherry icon_smile.gif

cakegirl1973 Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 12:53am
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

Use KoolAidicon_smile.gif It wll color and flavor the icing at the same time. I doesnt take much - usually just about 1/4 teaspoon per cup or so.
I usually do thsi when I want red icing icon_smile.gif I use Black Cherry, but some have told me strawberry gives it more color. I just dont care much for strawberry but love cherry icon_smile.gif

What a terrific idea! You're brilliant, kakeladi!

MimiFix Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 1:03am
post #6 of 14

Fruit jams and preserves also work well and do not need refrigeration.

Normita Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 1:12am
post #7 of 14

I use CK icing fruits and I loooove them!! They taste just as good as if you would have pureed the fruit. My favorites are strawberry and raspberry. But the also come in other flavors as banana, lemon etc.

kakeladi Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 1:20am
post #8 of 14

kakeladi wrote:
I usually do thsi when I want red icing I use Black Cherry, but some have told me strawberry gives it more color. I just dont care much for strawberry but love cherry

....What a terrific idea!..........

Thanks icon_smile.gif Have been doing that for yearsicon_smile.gif
But........when you want mainly to *color* icing you have to start w/a base color.
Example: Want red icing, you tint the white icing a deep, bold/bright yellow or orange or pink, then add the koolaid to bring out the red w/o that 'paste color taste'. You may also need to use some red, but not near as much.
I taught a class today; I had told them to make red icing - having explained how to add KoolAid....I guess they didn't start w/a bold enough base color as they ended up w/a reddish pink and *very tart* icing - having use a whole pkg of Koolaid! icon_smile.gif 1st time that has happend when I have suggested using Koolaid. Also they used on off brand of 'Koolaid' - not the original/real brand.

jason_kraft Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 1:22am
post #9 of 14

We just add extracts to vanilla buttercream, that way we only need to make one kind of BC as a base and add extracts as necessary.

enoid Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 1:37am
post #10 of 14

Do you use the unsweetened Kool-Aid?

Elcee Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 1:47am
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcobbler

Elcee,
Do you need to refridgerate the fruit buttercream? How long will the icing keep for? How much fruit puree do you use compared to liquid(is equal parts okay)? I'm very eager to try this.

No, it doesn't need refrigeration, I've left cakes iced in it out for a few days. I use about the same amount of puree as I would liquid. I live in a pretty dry climate so I probably use more that you would need. As a for instance, if your recipe calls for 5-6 tablesoons of milk, use 5-6 tablespoons of fruit. The leftover puree can go in the freezer icon_smile.gif.

cakelady2266 Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 1:59am
post #12 of 14

LorAnn's makes a variety of flavored oils you can add to vanilla buttercream.

kakeladi Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 1:30pm
post #13 of 14

Yes, I use UNsweetened KoolAid

Torimomma Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 9:47pm
post #14 of 14

I got this idea from you! Thanks! I used it on an Olivia cake for my daughter but didn't remeber who to credit with the idea.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%