How Would You Feel?

Lounge By cakesdivine Updated 4 Oct 2011 , 4:07am by cakesdivine

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 11:34pm
post #1 of 7

I have a dance student who I have invested ALOT of extra time in, and even have her as my student assistant in many of my classes this year. Tonight she comes in and says to me. " Oh Ms. Angie I am doing an intership at XYZ bakery." (name changed to protect the innocent...LOL).

I asked her if she was taking culinary arts at her high school, and she said no, that her mom thought she should call them and ask to be an intern. I was shocked since my bakery is 2 blocks down the road from from this other bakery! icon_eek.gif

My heart is broken that this mom, who knows that they are my direct competition would have her daughter call there, and this is the FIRST I am even hearing that she was interested in pastry or culinary arts.

Just venting. icon_sad.gif

6 replies
aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 12:06am
post #2 of 7

I would be pretty hurt too. Obviously she knew you did this. Maybe her mom thought because of you investing a lot in her as a dance student she didn't want to take advantage of you by asking you to teach her cakes too?

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 12:09am
post #3 of 7

I'd definitely be hurt, too. icon_sad.gif

To play the devil's advocate, though...is it possible that they though it would be an imposition to ask you? Or that it would put you on the spot and make you feel uncomfortable if you couldn't take on an intern?

If you have the relationship with them that would allow you to get away with it, you could tease and say, "Cakes! Dance! It seems like you want to be ME when you grow up! In that case, why not consider an internship at MY bakery?"

The other thing that comes to mind isn't nice and I hope it isn't the case but could the mom be jealous/threatened by your relationship with her daughter and using this as a way to drive distance between you? When I was a teenager my mother HATED it if I had a relationship with any adult women and would subtly try to sabotage the relationship by making snide comments about the woman in question, even when it was my aunt!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 12:43am
post #4 of 7

........could the mom be jealous/threatened by your relationship with her daughter and using this as a way to drive distance between you? ......

this was one of my 1st thought as I read the post icon_sad.gif
I like the suggestion you made about giving her a teasing...well put .

BizCoCos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BizCoCos Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 1:34am
post #5 of 7

I think that she did not want to impose on you perhaps you could ask her in a teasing manner like others said. Yet, it seems the daughter is 100% ok with it, wouldn't she say something? I do have a feeling they did not want to impose on you and did not intend to hurt you.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 3:09am
post #6 of 7

Have you been advertising that you are looking for interns? The other bakery may have done so. There could also be a relationship between the family and the owners of the other bakery.

I wouldn't take it personally, since you just don't have enough information about all the factors in the situation. But this could work in your favor if you can make a paid position available after this student finishes her internship. A barter situation might also work if you can offer your services in exchange for hers.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 4:07am
post #7 of 7

Honestly I don't see how she can intern. She is only 14. She is too young to work and here in Texas you have to be 18 to even run a mixer let alone be around an oven. Even if I had known she was interested in pastry, at her age I never would have offered for her an internship due to her age. I need someone who can help me during day hours...she is a freshman in highschool - not old enough to drive, and mom works in a town 35 miles away from where we all live, my bakery is in a neighboring town that is 25 miles away from where we live.

They know I teach cake decorating and baking. I don't think it has anything to do with a jealousy factor since mom calls me often to discuss her daughter and raising a teen girl. (I have raised 2 daughters). I learned that they met the owners at an event this past weekend, and they thought the bakery was actually in an area close to home, instead of in town. With her current dance schedule, her interning on their time would be almost impossible. Haven't spoken with the mom since she carpooled tonight. Really not sure what was running through mom's head. I just need to stop reading more into it than there is. I will talk to mom when she brings her to class again tomorrow to get the whole story. Could be something totally different that what kid explained.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%