Pintrest?

Decorating By seedrv Updated 5 Oct 2011 , 8:02pm by costumeczar

seedrv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seedrv Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 5:42pm
post #1 of 14

What do you know about Pintrest? Is it something that a cake business should look into being a part of? I can barely handle all of the Facebook changes. I'm not sure I'll have the wits to do another social network but wonder if any of you out there had any exxperience with pintrest. Thanks for sharing your info!!

13 replies
imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 6:19pm
post #2 of 14

Pinterest. I like it. It's fun, very graphic, and a picture just drags you into checking out the site where the photo is held. All I know is creative people are very much into it. It is not like Facebook at all. You don't even have to have an account with them to go to the sites and check out the amazing stuff in there.

I have no experience whatsoever with a cake business there. But when my aunt starts her jewelry business, I will for sure recommend that her photos are pinned there by someone. I love using the search feature to find amazing photos about my subject.

I try to avoid going there during business hours, because it drags me into places, and I don't come back for a few hours...lol

southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 6:27pm
post #3 of 14

I use Pintrest and like it. It allows me to save things o find on the Internet without having a lot of bookmarked pages. It allows you to keep saved items on separate folders of your choice. So I have wedding cake folder, birthday cake folders Etc. You can select whether others can view your folders. When you drag a picture to your folder it identifies the source although I always try to include the name of the baker on my own description. I think it could be another great source of word of mouth advertising. some sites like Facebook don't let you "pin" pictures.

seedrv Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 8:51pm
post #4 of 14

Thanks so much Imagenthatnj and southerncross! It sounds like something I definitely need to find out more about!

seedrv Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 8:51pm
post #5 of 14

Thanks so much Imagenthatnj and southerncross! It sounds like something I definitely need to find out more about!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 11:55am
post #6 of 14

I use it to bookmark recipe that I think look interesting, too. It will bookmark any page that has a picture on it, so you can use it for more than just saving photos.

seedrv Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 5:05pm
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

I use it to bookmark recipe that I think look interesting, too. It will bookmark any page that has a picture on it, so you can use it for more than just saving photos.

That's what I wasn't sure of. The photos are loaded on my website using a photo album set up. It would be very unrealistic to have a separate page for each cake photo or 50 separate photos on a page. So you can't really "pin" a photo by itself on my site.

I'm debating whether I should start a small blog with a little more info of the cakes. That would definitely be easier to "pin" Yea, lets find one more thing to do!!

Thanks to all for the feedback!

seedrv Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 5:05pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:

That's what I wasn't sure of. The photos are loaded on my website using a photo album set up. It would be very unrealistic to have a separate page for each cake photo or 50 separate photos on a page. So you can't really "pin" a photo by itself on my site.

I'm debating whether I should start a small blog with a little more info of the cakes. That would definitely be easier to "pin" Yea, lets find one more thing to do!!

Thanks to all for the feedback!

costumeczar Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 5:44pm
post #9 of 14

You're not really supposed to pin your own photos anyway, that's not the point of it. If you want to do that then you could open a flickr account and upload photos to that. Pinterest is things that you Pin because they Interest you, get it, "pinterest?" I remember when I signed up for it that there was a warning about pinning your own photos.

What you should do is find other people who you know who are on pinterest and pin each other's photos if that's how you want to use it.

seedrv Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 6:12pm
post #10 of 14

Yea, costumeczar, that's what I was sort of gathering. They don't really have it set up for business per say. I did add a "pinterest" button on my site. And when I browse the site I see a lot of blogs pinned. I FB but don't tweet. I just don't know how much to invest my wealth of time in!

Niki11784 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niki11784 Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 6:27pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross

I use Pintrest and like it. It allows me to save things o find on the Internet without having a lot of bookmarked pages. It allows you to keep saved items on separate folders of your choice. So I have wedding cake folder, birthday cake folders Etc. You can select whether others can view your folders. When you drag a picture to your folder it identifies the source although I always try to include the name of the baker on my own description. I think it could be another great source of word of mouth advertising. some sites like Facebook don't let you "pin" pictures.

it took me a few months to realize that this was the main benefit of pinterest! It always frustrated me that i had to remember or bookmark which foodblog had a specific recipe, and this completely solves that problem- one place to bookmark everything. Kinda a d'uh moment for me icon_smile.gif Also its great for adding hits for my own blog...

Niki11784 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niki11784 Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 6:28pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:

You're not really supposed to pin your own photos anyway, that's not the point of it. If you want to do that then you could open a flickr account and upload photos to that. Pinterest is things that you Pin because they Interest you, get it, "pinterest?" I remember when I signed up for it that there was a warning about pinning your own photos.

What you should do is find other people who you know who are on pinterest and pin each other's photos if that's how you want to use it.

Whoops! I didn't realize you arent supposed to do that. Makes sense....

costumeczar Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 8:02pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niki11784

Quote:

I don't know how or if they monitor that kind of thing, but they do say that it's "frowned upon."

costumeczar Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 8:02pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niki11784

Quote:

I don't know how or if they monitor that kind of thing, but they do say that it's "frowned upon."

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%