How Do You Construct A Separated Tier Cake?

Decorating By Dreme Updated 4 Oct 2011 , 12:56pm by aprilismaius

Dreme Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 3:35pm
post #1 of 3

Ok I got my first separator tier cake. I know I should know this but I have never done one of these types of cake before. My cake is already on the moister side and doesn't take too well defying gravity in any kind of way. I keep my cakes cold and assemble cold. I'm a little paranoid about stacking it at the venue as the temperature will have dropped on the cake. I have never had to assemble a cake on site as they go out fully stacked with minimal work done onsite, usually just floral arranging. I don't know how this will go and I do not want to spend a lot of time onsite with this cake as we have other cakes that day. (It is a last minute wedding cake and will have to be scheduled in with the other orders that were already placed, so time is tight.) How do you do this and will it take a long time to setup and assemble?

2 replies
CWR41 Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 4:10pm
post #2 of 3
Originally Posted by Dreme

How do you do this and will it take a long time to setup and assemble?

Depending on what you're doing the separating with (push-in pillars, double-plate separators, styrofoam, etc.), here are some separation options:
Choose your type of set up, and follow the directions. The time it takes to assemble on site will vary, but it doesn't normally involve any more time than the time it takes to attach 4 pillars to the plate that's already placed and setting the tier (on its plate with the nubs) in the holes on top of the 4 pillars.

aprilismaius Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 12:56pm
post #3 of 3

I did a 50th wedding anniversary cake last weekend that had a 5 inch separation between each tier. I used SPS with the 9 inch columns for this. I had 3 of the tiers assembled before the 50 mile delivery, and put the top tier on when I arrived at the venue. No problems. Everything was incredibly stable.

If you don't want the look of columns, I use 2 to 3 inch styrofoam dummies that are 1 to 2 inches smaller than the tier above.

Quote by @%username% on %date%