Ive Used Almond Extract Instead Of Vanilla In My Fruit Cake!

Baking By tonilouise80 Updated 3 Oct 2011 , 6:32pm by costumeczar

tonilouise80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonilouise80 Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 2:49pm
post #1 of 5

Hi there
I wanted to get some advice, I am making a fruit cake for a bottom tier of an anniversary cake and by mistake i have used quite a lot of almond extract instead of vanilla. I have left my fruit to soak and i am concerned the almond may be way too strong!!! Will i get away with it as it is a fruit cake or should i start from scratch?? I have soaked my 4lb of fruit in brandy, orange juice, lemon and loads of almond extract. The thing is i cant stand the smell of almond and it is giving me a terrible headache. Ive prob only used a tablespoon of the stuff.
Please help, i have only been baking and decorating for a year and cant believe i got the wrong bottle!!
The nut allergy thing will not be a problem as i am using marzipan on the cake anyway and people will be warned about this.
Thanks people x
Tonilouise80

4 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 4:31pm
post #2 of 5

It should be okay once you soak/feed the cake...Does it have almonds in the batter too?

tonilouise80 Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 5:45pm
post #3 of 5

No it does not have any almonds in it ha ha. I think im just going to use the fruit and hope for the best. I will still have time to re do it if it tastes naff ha ha thanks for your reply
Toni

tonilouise80 Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 5:46pm
post #4 of 5

No it does not have any almonds in it ha ha. I think im just going to use the fruit and hope for the best. I will still have time to re do it if it tastes naff ha ha thanks for your reply
Toni

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 6:32pm
post #5 of 5

Ah, see, the recipe that I use has some almonds in it too, if I remember correctly.

Actually, you reminded me that I need to round up the ingredients for Christmas fruitcakes, so thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%