Carrot Cake For Wedding Cake?

Decorating By MammaOf10 Updated 3 Oct 2011 , 12:31pm by shuswapcakes

MammaOf10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MammaOf10 Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 11:23am
post #1 of 3

I have a request for a 4 tier wedding cake. The bottom layer will be Rice Krispy Treats. The other three layers need to be fondant covered carrot cake. I'm a little concerned about using carrot cake because it is so moist. Does anyone have a yummy recipe that will stand up to stacking and fondant? Thanks in advance for your help!

2 replies
southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 12:10pm
post #2 of 3

Hi, I made a three tiered wedding cake last year with every tier a different flavour. the top layer was carrot cake. the entire cake was covered in fondant with a SMBC undercoat. I had no problem at all. I used Martha Stewart's recipe out of her Weddings cook book. Rather than shred the carrots on the ususal shredder, i grated them on the microplane. The result was a finer texture that held together beautifully.

shuswapcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shuswapcakes Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 12:31pm
post #3 of 3

I'm sooo glad you posted this question. I have the same dilema with a three-tiered cake and she wants it all carrot cake, cream cheese frosting and then covered in fondant. My first thoughts were carrot cake is way too soft, especially to be covered in fondant. I can see maybe dong the top tier carrot cake but all three tieres scares the heck out of me. I'm already having nightmares about this cake so I'm very interested to hear the replies! I wonder if this is even doable??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%