Never Made This Before Would Like Help.

Decorating By funtodecorate2 Updated 7 Oct 2011 , 4:23am by funtodecorate2

funtodecorate2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funtodecorate2 Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 4:00am
post #1 of 9

Hi, I've been asked by a friend to make their 50th wedding Ann. cake. She gave me the recipe . It's called Waldorf Red Cake. It is very similar to a couple I've found on CC but I thought (from everyone's Post I've read) that the frosting is cream cheese. Here is her frosting recipe 1 cup milk and thicken by adding 3 T flour over heat. Cool
Cream 1/2 cup butter with 1/2 cup shortening, add 1 cup sugar and 1 tsp vanilla. cream until fluffy then add to the milk mixture. . Says it will be like whipped cream.
I've never made either before and most certainly will try before making the real cake. I asked her about the cream cheese frosting and she said yes that's what it is but when I read the recipe it doesn't have cream cheese in it at all. I will ask her again. If I use cream cheese which recipe on CC would be the best for borders and any decorating?
thanks for the help
Wendy

8 replies
sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 5:31am
post #2 of 9
funtodecorate2 Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 5:38am
post #3 of 9

Thank you icon_smile.gif

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 6:46am
post #4 of 9

From what I understand the original frosting for red velvet was not cream cheese, it was the cooked flour icing you mentioned. I have tried that icing recipe before and it's good, although the recipe doesn't make a lot at once. It is not a crusting icing, either. It is a light icing and not nearly as sweet as the usual buttercream with confectioners sugar.

If you want it to taste like cream cheese, add Loran cheesecake flavoring oil to it. I've done this, too, and it worked well.

funtodecorate2 Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 5:30am
post #5 of 9

Humm that's an idea. Maybe She would be happy with the flour icing for the filling? I've never tried it before but best to it so I can see how it tastes at least. Doesn't sound like its good enough to decorate with.
thanks a bunch. I'm still pretty new at this so still learning .
Wendy

heartsnsync Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heartsnsync Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 2:38am
post #6 of 9

I read an article a long time ago about the history of the Waldorf Astoria and their "Red Cake", as we know it their Red Velvet Cake indeed did not have a cream cheese icing but instead had this icing made with flour, as you state. My mother-in-law gave me the recipe some time ago and I made it but no one seemed to like it as well as what has become known in the south as a classic "Red Velvet Cake" which has a cream cheese icing. HTH

heartsnsync Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heartsnsync Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 2:41am
post #7 of 9

Oh, and also, apparently cakes with flour in the icing and puddings made with flour were the norm 50+ years ago. My mother-in-law's favorite chocolate pie is made with flour as a thickener.

funtodecorate2 Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 4:22am
post #8 of 9

Well this might explain why she wants and likes it because she is celebrating 50th wedding ann. So she's in her 70's. This is how she remembers it'. Thanks for the tips and info.
Wendy

funtodecorate2 Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 4:23am
post #9 of 9

Well this might explain why she wants and likes it because she is celebrating 50th wedding ann. So she's in her 70's. This is how she remembers it'. Thanks for the tips and info.
Wendy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%