All Of A Sudden Stacked Cake Issues

Business By Mrs_O Updated 3 Oct 2011 , 2:29am by jules5000

Mrs_O Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 2:12am
post #1 of 3

Hello all. I mostly use doctored DH mixes for all my products. One thing that we always notice is how extremely moist our cakes are. One of the things we doctor with is a box of dry pudding mix. Lately we have noticed that our tiered cakes are not very sturdy. I have switched from small dowel rods and cake board separators to the plastic separator plates with the larger Wilton rods and still not better. Perhaps worse. Didn't know if anyone else has had this problem and figured out a solution. I am trying to see if no pudding in our tiered cakes is necessary or if the sps or sfs systems would help. The weight of the tiers above is making the lower tiers want to crack or lean and this is unacceptable. Any help is appreciated. Ps. I live in the south and the heat here probably doesn't help.

2 replies
leah_s Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 2:29am
post #2 of 3

With a proper support system, the weight of upper tiers has NO effect on the lower tiers. Something's not correct in the height of your supports.

jules5000 Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 2:29am
post #3 of 3

I would like to suggest that it is a change of the seasons, but probably not as you have had other change of seasons to go through and obviously have not had this problem before. Would there be a chance that you could try adding just half of the pudding mix and of course some of your liquids since you are not adding the full pkt. and see if that helps. I know I read a thread on here this last week about some of the box mxes companies changing the amount of ounces on their mixes, but DH was not one of them. I don't suppose there is any chance that they would have changed their ingredient list anyway even if it is the same ounces? another suggestion would be to call DH and tell them your sudden problem and see if they could help you figure it out. I tihnk that most of the time comanies respond very favorably to questions when it comes to figuring out a problem and they want you to keep using their product even if you doctor it rather than changing mixes or companies. let us know how your experimenting comes out and what you end up discovering works. Thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%