Pricing Help

Decorating By lschmitz05 Updated 2 Oct 2011 , 8:59pm by aligotmatt

lschmitz05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lschmitz05 Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 8:17pm
post #1 of 3

I am new to baking and live in a very small area where a lot of older people do sheet cakes for cost of ingredients. I made 45 cupcakes for a lady who mind you never asked for a price before she picked them up and she was not happy when I told her the price. They were only $45 since I charge 3 times the price of the ingredients. She is the first person to make a stink when I told her the price... but was I wrong to stick to my price since it was her fault for not asking for a price when she ordered them?

2 replies
ritterwoman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ritterwoman Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 8:31pm
post #2 of 3

I always make sure the customer knows the price of the cake when the order is placed. This way, if they feel the price is too steep they have the option to back out.

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 8:59pm
post #3 of 3

You should tell people when they place the order, not wait for them to ask. Don't be shy about your pricing. If a bride calls me and tells me she need a cake for about 100 people, I instantly say, "okay, so if you go with the bare minimum with me, the lowest price you will get with me will be $$$ plus delivery.... of course if you go with a premium flavor or a more detailed design, your price may go up" Then they can say, ooooh... I was hoping to stay under... and I say, okay thanks, best wishes.

I think what you charged is cheap cheap, $1 per cupcake, no reason to make a stink about that! Just say it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%