How To Make An Aeroplane Cake

Decorating By solascakes Updated 2 Oct 2011 , 5:58pm by cownsj

solascakes Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 11:08pm
post #1 of 6

Hello all, please I need to make an aeroplane cake soon,and have no clue how to go about it. TIA.

5 replies
cownsj Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 3:49am
post #2 of 6

Can you give us some more details. Do you want it to be 3D, or 2D. Or a scene with a plane as part of the picture? Is it for a little boy or a adult? How many people do you need to feed?

solascakes Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 3:44pm
post #3 of 6

Oh ok, it's for a 50yr old woman,she travels a lot and wanted a carved aeroplane cake. I'm sure she will take whatever I can do, either 2D or 3D.Probably to feed like 50 people. Thank you.

cownsj Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 4:09pm
post #4 of 6

Only you know your skill level and whether you feel confident enough to do a 3D plane and transport it to her. Plus, it'll be a pretty big cake for 50. Now, I've seen them do it on Ace of Cakes where they cut the wing and push it through the cake, but for me, I think I would begin stacking my cakes for the plane, putting supports in the area where the wings would be. Then I'd lay the boards for the wings across the cake and keep stacking, then carve the plane and put cake on the wings.....

The picture I had in my head right away for a design is a round cake, and then do it one of two ways. Both ways I'd have the world on the cake, then I'd either make a large 2D plane (belly of the plane on the cake), or do a smaller plane that is on a wire as though it's flying around the world. Maybe put flags in places she has either visited or would like to visit.

Hope this helps some.

solascakes Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 4:52pm
post #5 of 6

Woow hoookay,I'm I sure I want to do this cake,sounds difficult, saw the one on ace of cakes too. The globe with a swmall plane flying sounds easier.Will think about it anyway.Thank you so so much cownsj for your help,God bless you.

cownsj Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 5:58pm
post #6 of 6

Without doing a full globe, you could just stack cakes and round the top, even using a ball pan for the top layer. Just a thought to make is easier, and I think you could still get the impression you want.

Quote by @%username% on %date%