Chocolate Shards - How Much Needed?

Decorating By sharon45 Updated 2 Oct 2011 , 1:26am by cownsj

sharon45 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharon45 Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 9:00pm
post #1 of 6

I am doing four tiers that need chocolate shards around the circumference -- 18" square, 14" square, 10" square and 6" square. Any thoughts on how much chocolate will need to be melted down for that? Should I add oil? Should I hunt down a place that sells them so I don't have to worry about it? icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 10:12pm
post #2 of 6

If you are making your own, I'd use Sephra for my chocolate. In fact, I do use them. It's Sephra, then dot com to get there. You do NOT need to add oil to any of their products, it's designed for use mainly in their chocolate fountains. I now use their "molding candy" for everything. It tastes like top quality chocolate, is very easy to work with, and you don't have to temper it. Nice thing is that if a piece breaks on you, or isn't quite right, just melt it down and reuse.

sharon45 Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 11:51pm
post #3 of 6

Thank you so much. I will definitely check that out.

cownsj Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 12:11am
post #4 of 6

I know they sometimes have a 10% off coupon, look for one. If you can't find one, call them to place your order and ask for the discount because it's your first order. When I got my choc. fountain, it came with a coupon for my first order.

sharon45 Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 12:15am
post #5 of 6

Ooooh, discount! Even better!!! Will they be able to tell me how much I need? I'm a little lost there.

cownsj Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 1:26am
post #6 of 6

I'm not sure if they can alot there or not, but the candy does go a long way. When I've gotten it, I've gotten the mixed 20 lb. of dark (8 lbs.), milk (8 lbs.) and white (4 lbs) chocolate. But you can also get any of the flavors in a 4 lb bag. The molding candy is something like $65 for the 20 lbs. and $16 for 4 lbs., which sounds like alot, but when you taste it, you'll know why I get mine there. And if you use a chocolate fountain, it's so easy and you don't get that oil taste from regular choc. with the oil added.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%