Friday Night Cake Club 9-30-2011

Decorating By catlharper Updated 2 Oct 2011 , 9:31am by me_me1

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 3:28am
post #1 of 25

Hi ya'll! Sorry, had to deliver a cake so I'm running a bit late tonight! Who's up, whatcha working on?

Cat

24 replies
pj22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pj22 Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 3:32am
post #2 of 25

I am baking a batch of vanilla and red velvet mini cupcakes for an order. Tried the Whimsical bakehouse buttercream recipe and it tastes like grease icon_sad.gif can anyone please help improve it ?

catlharper Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 3:32am
post #3 of 25

I only had one cake this week. Supposed to be my last week off but a friend of a friend called me in a panic...the Aunt who was supposed to do their rehersal dinner cake is in the hospital so I ended up pinch hitting for them and so I had to deliver it to the party tonight. Fortunately not a big cake, not a big dinner, so it was pretty easy to do. She only asked that it be buttercream and of a simple design so I just did a cornelli lace and used silver dragees..they were thrilled. How is everyone elses week ending up?

Cat

divadidelights Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divadidelights Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 4:04am
post #4 of 25

making fairy figures with isomalt wings for tomorrows fairy cake and working on a baby buggy and cake pops for Sundays baby shower order... and trying not to skip ahead to my next order for Thursday..12 dessert centerpieces for a golf club staff party icon_smile.gif

JSKConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JSKConfections Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 4:06am
post #5 of 25

Just one cake here too. Delivered this morning. A cake for my daughters friends 21 yr old sister who is in remission for Non Hodgkin's Lymphoma. That cancer's color is Lime green, and the slogan is "Remission Rocks". Her parents are having a remission party for her tomorrow. No kid should have to go through that and lose her hair and be sooo sick...I was happy to make and donate the cake.
I have a sleeping baby still air drying for a baby shower cake next weekend, can't wait to try dusting my first baby!! I hope it turns out. Easy week, so on to fall cleaning all weekend!! Nice weather so I better take advantage!

Lindsram Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lindsram Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 4:10am
post #6 of 25

I'm in a hotel room getting ready for bed and going to the Oklahoma Sugar Art Show in the morning. So excited!!!

catlharper Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 4:10am
post #7 of 25

Only cakers would understand "air drying a baby" for "dusting" and know you are talking about sugar art! LOL!

And, yes, I, too have been blessed with the chance to make a cake for a cancer survivor...it's truly special!

Cat

kathie-d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathie-d Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 4:13am
post #8 of 25

No cakes for me tonight! Finished up a baby shower cake on Wednesday and then had a Star Wars cake for yesteday. It was a Boba Fett cake...I didn't know who he was so I did some research and the clients were beyond thrilled with the final product! As much as I love wedding cakes I love being able to see the reaction for birthday cakes etc that you don't usually get with wedding deliveries.

JSKConfections Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 4:17am
post #9 of 25

Gosh Cat I hadn't thought about my wording till you just said something...but your right, we all knew what I was saying! lol icon_smile.gif

carolinagirlcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinagirlcakes Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 4:17am
post #10 of 25

I have two cakes for tomorrow or today since it is officially Saturday, lol.

The first is a two tier safari themed 1st bday cake with 4 gumpaste/fondant animals and 2 palm trees. The top tier will act as the smash cake and the bottom for the guests. For pick up at 11am.

The second is a 8" round or square, still haven't decided cake with a Phineas & Ferb cake topper. For pick up at 4pm.

Luckily the animals are done and majority of the cake work is buttercream but got a late jump on baking so it is going to be a long night/morning.

SammieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SammieB Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 4:18am
post #11 of 25

I am working on my birthday cake, and having so much fun!! My brother and I both have September birthdays, and we celebrate at our family reunion every year which is tomorrow. My mom knows how much I love to play so she lets me make my own cake and then reimburses me the ingredient cost. So I've got a strawberry cake with rolled buttercream carved like a tree trunk for my bro, and a pumpkin spice cake with cinnamon cream cheese icing carved like a pumpkin for me. The pumpkin cake is going on a cake plate I made from poured sugar which is a burgundy color, I've got pulled sugar butterscotch flavored acorns to scatter around the cake board, and I'm about to go cover my big board and knock out some gumpaste leaves from a mold I made this week. I. Am. Having. So. Much. Fun!

SammieB Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 4:21am
post #12 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagirlcakes

The second is a 8" round or square, still haven't decided cake with a Phineas & Ferb cake topper. For pick up at 4pm.

I just did a Phineas and Ferb cake for my best friend a couple of weeks ago. Her kid LOVES P&F just like my family does. I found a "Ferbtastic" font, downloaded it, and did a chocolate transfer on a sucker stick and used that as a topper. I used the font and just put "Happy Birthday Nehem" in the red/yellow color the logo uses. It worked alright.

catlharper Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 4:28am
post #13 of 25

I can't wait to see the Safari Cake! I just got an order for next April for one and am looking for ideas to make it look different!

As for birthday cakes...first of all, Happy Birthday!!! I have to make mine this year and I'm a bit puzzled at what I want to do...I have 3 weeks to make up my mind<G>

Cat

JSKConfections Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 4:29am
post #14 of 25

Sammi post pics of those cakes!! I want to see them, especially the sugar board and acorns!! Happy Birthday!!

SammieB Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 4:34am
post #15 of 25

Oh, I will! I'm so ridiculously excited. They are a bit messy, but heck, I've had a few glasses of wine (!) and it's like a party in my kitchen. I'll post some tomorrow after the reunion!

catlharper Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 5:57am
post #16 of 25

Well, I'll say goodnight now. It's 11pm on the West Coast so I'll check my self out for the night and check back in tomorrow morning and see who was still up or if any of the International cakers chimed in!

Night ya'll!

Cat

SammieB Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 6:19am
post #17 of 25

I just got done. Do you guys ever finish a cake and think, "Man, I just love this! It's the best cake I've ever done!" B/c I'm living that high right now, and that is rarely the case. I can't wait to upload pictures tomorrow after it's set up outside!

me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 7:40am
post #18 of 25

Howdy, London newbie here chiming in icon_smile.gif

Didn't make anything last night but this morning I am starting on some salted maple bacon caramels (thinking of maybe coating in chocolate and making little spiders or cockroaches out of them for Halloween) and I have a new vanilla cake recipe I want to try.

Katiebelle74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiebelle74 Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 10:28am
post #19 of 25

Made 356 serving wedding cake and fresh strawberry couli to go with it.

dstippy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dstippy Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 10:47am
post #20 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammieB

I just got done. Do you guys ever finish a cake and think, "Man, I just love this! It's the best cake I've ever done!" B/c I'm living that high right now, and that is rarely the case. I can't wait to upload pictures tomorrow after it's set up outside!

I know the feeling, last month did a guitar groom's cake for my sister-in-law and I was so happy when it was complete. Check it out in my pictures on CC. I sort of feel like I will never be able to top this one. Then my nephew (and God son) decided to tease me and said to me, "Aunt Donna, you did this for Chris, then how are you going to top it next year for me, I'm your God son!"

pj22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pj22 Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 11:18am
post #21 of 25

I am baking a batch of vanilla and red velvet mini cupcakes for an order. Tried the Whimsical bakehouse buttercream recipe and it tastes like grease icon_sad.gif can anyone please help improve it ?

me_me1 Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 11:42am
post #22 of 25

Hi pj22... I'm a SMBC girl I'm afraid so can't give any tips for that buttercream. More ps maybe or vanilla?? I don't really know, sorry.

catlharper Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 4:28pm
post #23 of 25

Well, well! Lots happened after I went to bed last night! Welcome LONDON! And wow, my husband would go nuts just over the sound of anything bacon!LOL!

And, yes, Sammie, I have felt that feeling of "wow, I just couldn't love this cake more" recently. I did a 40the b'day cake that was black fondant with vibrant colored flowers...completely outside of my thinking box since I normally do pastels...and I just loved it. I was SO proud to present that cake to my client!

Altho...as mentioned...sometimes our most challenging clients are our own family! I have three kids and feel like I have to top the last birthday cake every year. It's mentally exhausting every time I get close to one of the birthdays and have to come up with a new, better, design.

Hope everyone has a great weekend and safe deliveries! My weekend is filled with baseball. My son is playing FallBall and we have two games this weekend PLUS karate so it's a good thing I don't have to get back to caking till Wednesday!

Cat

SammieB Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 9:45pm
post #24 of 25

JSK, I posted the pics from the cake I made last night! I did have the tiniest bit of a scare as we were driving and I heard my poured sugar plate slide across my big board with my pumpkin cake on top, but everything made it just fine. I am so happy with how it turned out!

me_me1 Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 9:31am
post #25 of 25

Mmmm, the salted maple bacon caramel thingies turned out gorgeous - love the sweet/salty combination. Doesn't look very appealing at the moment but once I've chopped it into squares and wrapped them individually in pretty paper I'm sure they will look lovely. The guys at work are in for a treat tomorrow!

SammieB - I love how your pumpkin cake looks! So pretty, especially on the sugar plate! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%