She Paid For The Cake, But Now I'm A Unpaid Florist Too. :-(

Business By Swede-cakes Updated 4 Oct 2011 , 7:28am by Tails

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 2:26am
post #1 of 9

Quick vent, so I can get this off my shoulders and get back into the kitchen to finish the wedding cake.

Booked this wedding back in March, and the event is tomorrow. Cake has been paid in full for four weeks now, as per contract. However, Bride said she'd decide on a cake topper over the past few months and hasn't, despite my reminders. Well I sent her one more reminder four days ago, and asked what she wanted to do. Well, LOW AND BEHOLD, she forgot to but a topper. Not the end of the world, but kind of a pita to have this loose end.

So she asks me to just create something with Autumn leaves and flowers. I tell her that normally it would have been worked into the price on the contract, so I'll have to invoice her $xx separately for the topper. She says Great! Awesome! You're the designer so I trust you!. I invoiced her two days ago, says she'll pay when she gets home cause can't do it from phone. This afternoon I send an invoice reminder and she emails me at 6:38pm saying "Hey there I got your invoice and ill be paying it in about an hour or so don't worry lol."

Still haven't seen payment. It's not a big amount, but I purchased the florals and created this topper for her cake. So...I want to get paid!

So, you know how you all say that if a client doesn't pay for the cake on time, then they get no cake? Well, does this mean she gets no topper for her cake? icon_lol.gif Kinda stupid, but I'm a stick to the contract kinda girl!

8 replies
cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 2:30am
post #2 of 9

Can you return the items you purchased if she doesn't pay you? I stick to my contract, that's why I have it.

I wouldn't sweat it too much...if she really wants this she'll pay you, if not deliver the cake as is.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 7:07am
post #3 of 9

Payment in advance.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 9:22pm
post #4 of 9

E-mail or call one more time, "Do you still want the topper? If I don't have payment by the time I deliver the cake tomorrow, I won't be adding the topper OR leaving it at the venue. Thanks."

Rae

Irish245 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Irish245 Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 12:19am
post #5 of 9

Simple.....call and if no answer, leave message that if you don't receive payment in cash by the time you deliver cake, the cake will have no topper.

(I have no time for messing around.....time is money)

JSKConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JSKConfections Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 12:40am
post #6 of 9

Please let us know what happens! Good Luck!!

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 3:49am
post #7 of 9

I agree with you all!! I'm a by-the-contract girl too. When I went to bed last night, I figured if she was too scatterbrained to buy a topper over the course of three months, then how the hell was this payment going to happen the night before her wedding? I didn't make the topper last night because I figured I'd be returning all the florals to Michael's this weekend.

Well, she came through alright...put through a payment via Paypal at something like 1:30am today. I created the arrangement this morning right after breakfast, as we had a full day of deliveries.

Ugh. Just pay the bill on time, woman! Lol! It would alleviate much stress.
icon_rolleyes.gif

BizCoCos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BizCoCos Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 2:21pm
post #8 of 9

good to hear, still , you are kind, It's too much stress to put upon oneself especially if you're not the one getting married, icon_wink.gif.

Tails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tails Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 7:28am
post #9 of 9

Part of me feels for the bride, who probably wasnt seeing the topper as such a huge deal to be paid upfront. She would have had other things on her mind.

I know its been sorted, so all is well, but considering the bride paid in full 4 weeks before the wedding, I would have trusted she'd be good for the money on the topper, even if it came after the event.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%