I Need Some Help Please

Decorating By Tfaye Updated 1 Oct 2011 , 7:01am by zdebssweetsj

Tfaye Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 12:02am
post #1 of 4

I'm working on a cake and it's been a nightmare. Anyway, I stacked two 16 inch round cakes. The top cake is about 1/4th or maybe 1/8th of an inch off from being totally stacked even.

Should I just try and do the best with covering it in buttercream or can I still use fondant? I'm supposed to cover it in black and orange MM fondant but I'm worried the fondant will make it look worse.

Plus the top cake is trying to fall apart and I don't have time or energy to re-make one.

3 replies
cakestyles Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 12:49am
post #2 of 4

Can you level it or trim it so that it's even? Put it in the fridge to firm it up a bit and then it will be a little more solid for you to work with.

Freedomx6 Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 1:24am
post #3 of 4

I smooth all my imperfections with buttercream, put it in the fridge to firm, then cover in fondant.

Will that work for you?

zdebssweetsj Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 7:01am
post #4 of 4

You can try trimming the sides to improve your lineup, and if the top of the tier is breaking you could try flipping over the entire stacked cake so that layer will be on the bottom. Definetley chill well before doing either, could even set in freezer for a bit to really firm it up before thying to trim the sides. Good Luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%