Making A Display And Real Wedding Cake

Decorating By lmnissen Updated 1 Oct 2011 , 5:33am by Rylan

lmnissen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lmnissen Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 9:54pm
post #1 of 4

So I'm making my friend's wedding cake and I'm a bit nervous. We decided on a display wedding cake so I can re-use it and a few WASC cakes with strawberry filling to be served. I have a few big questions.

First, for the display cake I'm using a styrofoam dummy. I don't intend on re-using it so can I just add a thin layer of shortening directly to it and then fondant or should I use a shortening based buttercream? Do I need to use supports since I'm using the styrofoam?

And my last question: They still don't know if they can use the fridge at the reception hall and they want a butter, sugar, vanilla and cream based buttercream. I'm very nervous about this. The cakes won't be stacked since they will not be displayed, just served. I'm making 2 12 inch round cakes and 2 10 inch round cakes. They will only be 2 layers each and while the WASC cake and the filling will be ok to sit out for a bit I'm afraid the buttercream will melt and come out the sides. I was thinking about freezing the whole cakes, but that would only work for a few hours and then I'm afraid the condensation will just make them gross. What would be a good solution?

3 replies
cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 10:41pm
post #2 of 4

I'd lightly spritz somee water and then adhere the fondant to the dummy. I wouldn't use any buttercream as the dummies would move all over the place. I made a 4 tier dummy cake and I didn't need any supports, besides I would dislike to have to put supports and listen to the squeaking as I am putting them in. As far as the buttercream being out it would depend on the temp of the room. I use a butter based buttercream and I sit them out all of the time. How long are you planning on leaving them out?

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 12:13am
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmnissen

First, for the display cake I'm using a styrofoam dummy. I don't intend on re-using it so can I just add a thin layer of shortening directly to it and then fondant or should I use a shortening based buttercream? Do I need to use supports since I'm using the styrofoam?

You can use shortening anytime. It's a great way to adhere fondant to styro dummies.
No, no supports

And my last question: They still don't know if they can use the fridge at the reception hall and they want a butter, sugar, vanilla and cream based buttercream. I'm very nervous about this. The cakes won't be stacked since they will not be displayed, just served. I'm making 2 12 inch round cakes and 2 10 inch round cakes. They will only be 2 layers each and while the WASC cake and the filling will be ok to sit out for a bit I'm afraid the buttercream will melt and come out the sides. I was thinking about freezing the whole cakes, but that would only work for a few hours and then I'm afraid the condensation will just make them gross. What would be a good solution?

If this is an American BC using powdered sugar, it doesn't require refrigeration.
Unless the temp is over 85F, the BC shouldn't melt.
Depending on your filling recipe, that may influence the need for refrigeration more than the BC.

Rae

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 5:33am
post #4 of 4

I also love to use plain shortening to let the fondant adhere on the dummy. The good thing about this is that it is easy to shift without damaging the fondant. It also removes very easily (not too sticky).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%