Essential Booze In Your Kitchen - What Do You Use?

Decorating By FromScratchSF Updated 9 Oct 2011 , 3:04pm by scp1127

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 9:20am
post #31 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

Huh, I'd start with dark, and I plan on trying this recipe...

http://www.marthastewart.com/326515/brown-sugar-swiss-meringue-buttercream

It has 2/3 cups more brown sugar then her regular SMBC recipe so I think you have to use more.

Be aware that when you boil the brown sugar syrup it froths up in the saucepan and triples if not quadruples in size! I didn't know this so I used my usual milk pan... Messy lol

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 9:27am
post #32 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandiOh

oh, what a fun subject. LOVE to use alcohol in my cakes. Recently found a recipe from "Fields of Cake" for a caramel that uses Hot Damn cinnamon schnapps and chipotle powder....and it is PHENOMENAL. I also love to use Meyers Dark Rum in my rum cakes....mmmmmm.

This sounds amazing! Could you share this recipe or point me in the right direction? I have no idea what 'fields of cake' is!

Susan, since i've been following the pink champagne thread I've started my liqueur collection. I'm going shopping today to add to it lol! I'd love to try the absinthe cupcakes!

SandiOh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandiOh Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 9:55am
post #33 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaPeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandiOh

oh, what a fun subject. LOVE to use alcohol in my cakes. Recently found a recipe from "Fields of Cake" for a caramel that uses Hot Damn cinnamon schnapps and chipotle powder....and it is PHENOMENAL. I also love to use Meyers Dark Rum in my rum cakes....mmmmmm.

This sounds amazing! Could you share this recipe or point me in the right direction? I have no idea what 'fields of cake' is!

Susan, since i've been following the pink champagne thread I've started my liqueur collection. I'm going shopping today to add to it lol! I'd love to try the absinthe cupcakes!

Her Blogsite is "fieldsofcake.blogspot.com" you can use search to find it, I think it's with her "vinnie cupcakes". And while your there you should peruse her sight....lots of fun stuff.

me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 10:39am
post #34 of 43
Quote:

It has 2/3 cups more brown sugar then her regular SMBC recipe so I think you have to use more.

icon_eek.gif I hadn't even considered brown sugar SMBC... drooooool!!!

me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 11:16am
post #35 of 43

Hmmm... that should have a stop between SMBC and drool.... I don't make SMBC drool to go on my cakes, promise!!

icon_smile.gif

mariacakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariacakestoo Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 2:53pm
post #36 of 43
Quote:

FYI, I have made many a batch of brown sugah smbc, and I always just use exactly as much brown sugar as white. Pack it in there!

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 3:24pm
post #37 of 43

OMG that's quite a list Susan! My head is tilting with all the possibilities here!

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 3:42pm
post #38 of 43

I do agree that alcohol adds a wonderful flavor to baked goods. But if you cater to upscale customers, the marketing angle truly helps sales.

When I had a shop in upstate New York we made several fruitcakes, the best selling ones were Grand Marnier and Brandy Alexander (a chocolate fruitcake). We also made a chocolate Kahlua Cake. Our Raspberry Almond and our Blueberry muffins (same batter used) were made with Amaretto. In our southern shop we made Tennessee Whiskey Fruitcake with Jack Daniels. I would have called it Jack Daniels Fruitcake but one of our lawyer customers advised against it.

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 5:46pm
post #39 of 43
Quote:

Thank you for sharing. This looks good. If you try it, please let us know how it comes out. If I use this recipe I will make it on Tuesday or Wednesday.

mariacakestoo- when you use the same amount of brown sugar as your regular recipe has for white, do you use dark or light brown?

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 4:19am
post #40 of 43

This weekend, I made Grown Up Chocolate Chip Cookies. I used:

Godiva
Bailey's
Frangelico
Makers Mark
Banana Liqueur
Toasted Almond, Kahlua and Amaretto
Nuts and Berries, Chambord and Frangelico
Kahlua

Every one was incredible.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 11:20am
post #41 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

This weekend, I made Grown Up Chocolate Chip Cookies. I used:

Susan, did you use the same base recipe for each batch?

JohnnyCakes1966 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 1:21pm
post #42 of 43

I haven't had a chance to read the whole thread so I don't know if any of this has been mentioned, but here's my 2 cents:

I generally don't add alcohol to my batter as I find much of the flavor tends to bake out. Instead, I brush the alcohol (usually straight but as a simple syrup works too) on the cake/cupcakes (torte or poke holes so it seeps in), then add the alcohol to my buttercream.

I add Maker's Mark to my chocolate buttercream. To. Die. For! I've also converted this into a Manhattan by using a cherry filling (to which I also add Maker's Mark) or adding a little cherry juice (reduced to concentrate the flavor) to the buttercream.

The Kentucky Derby just wouldn't be complete without my Mint Julep cupcakes. Bourbon (usually Wild Turkey) and Spearmint Schnapps with a white cake. Again, brushed on the cake and used in the buttercream. Garnish with a mint sprig. Oh, and you MUST bake them in silver liners to get the true Derby effect!

Dark n Stormy (traditional drink of Bermuda) - Ginger Beer cake/cupcake (I let the ginger beer go flat, then use it for the liquid in the white or yellow batter). Brush on a mixture of ginger beer and Goslings Black Rum (mostly rum!), then add Goslings Black Rum to my buttercream. Garnish with lime zest.

This one might flip you out, but I once had a request for an anise (licorice) flavored cake, so I added Pernod to my dark chocolate batter, then added Pernod to my buttercream. I don't like licorice, but it was really delicious with dark chocolate! I actually started offering it on my menu after that. Pernod is very strong in flavor, so you only need a tiny bit, and I definitely wouldn't brush it on the cake or the licorice flavor will be too strong...at least for me. In this case, I think a hint of the flavor is best. My customer raved about it!

So many more! If there's a drink, there's a boozy cake! thumbs_up.gif

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 3:04pm
post #43 of 43

Mimi, I made quarter pound chocolate chip cookies for my daughter's school carnival. I pulled 9 "pucks" aside and added malted milk powder and malted milk balls to one, and then I pulled out the alcohol. I put about a scant 1/4 tsp in each cookie, the two combos got double from the two flavors. In every case, they were delicious. But I need to go up on the alcohol. The way I did it was so subtle that I will double the alcohol next time. The best were Bailey's, Frangelico, Kahlua, And Toasted Almond. This happened to be a batch that I didn't double the chocolate chips by mistake and instead of remixing, I got the idea to do this. The lesser amount of chips (still plenty) was better for the subtle flavors for the alcohol.

Johnny, I do an anise type cupcake, but I use Absinthe. I reduce it and sweeten it by the Bohemian method of lighting the Absinthe-soaked sugar cube. I do brush the solution straight on the chocolate cupcake and I use it in IMBC. I thought it would end up being a novelty, which I don't sell, but it turned out wonderful.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%