Essential Booze In Your Kitchen - What Do You Use?

Decorating By FromScratchSF Updated 9 Oct 2011 , 3:04pm by scp1127

FromScratchSF Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 7:32pm
post #1 of 43

So I'm recently getting into using booze more in my cakes, so I think it would be fun to share what booze you use in your kitchen!

Please share the alcohol with the brand and what you use it in. Oh, and to keep it fun, what's your favorite drink of choice?

I'll start, but this is a short list:

Baily's Irish Cream, use in my chocolate SMBC
Meyer's coconut rum, used in my coconut cake
Kahlua, used in my SMBC
Kettle One, used for various things like painting etc.

Favorite beer: Stella
Favorite cocktail: Lemon drop with a splash of Chambord, also known as a Crushed Velvet
Red or White? Red, the dryer, the better like Zins and Syrahs.

Tag, you are it!

42 replies
Postal_Cakemaker Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 7:56pm
post #2 of 43

Everclear: Use it to paint with luster dust.

cakeandpartygirl Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 8:34pm
post #3 of 43

Gilbey's Vodka- for painting

obsessed Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 8:43pm
post #4 of 43

Pricey dark rum...but it's for me and not my cakes! icon_biggrin.gif




My apologies...I could not help myself.

FromScratchSF Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 8:56pm
post #5 of 43

Do none of you use alcohol for flavoring? Not just for painting?

Texas_Rose Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 9:08pm
post #6 of 43

I use rum and bourbon as flavoring, and sometimes some of the liqueurs...chambord (but I get the generic), triple sec, amaretto etc.

The most frugal way I've found of giving a liquor flavor to a cake is to make a simple syrup, let it cool and then add some liquor to it and brush it over all of the cake surfaces.

cas17 Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 9:17pm
post #7 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

Do none of you use alcohol for flavoring? Not just for painting?




Oh yes! Splash of: Amaretto for White Almond, Coconut Rum for Pina Colada, Gold Tequila for Margarita, Vodka for painting, Tequila Rose for Strawberries & Cream, Grand Marnier for Dreamsicle, just to name a few.

kmstreepey Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 10:30pm
post #8 of 43

I haven't baked with alcohol yet, but definitely want to try it. My eyes have been opened to all of the possibilities! My first try will be the pink champagne cake with chambord from another post. I'm also a big fan of the flavor of kahlua, so I will be trying that too, just not sure in what quite yet. FromScratch, I love the idea of irish cream in chocolate SMBC. Yum! That might be dangerous to have around though... I can also see how experimenting can get quite expensive!

Just to drink, I stay away from the liquors for the most part, though I recently had a wonderful drink with vodka, chambord and melted white chocolate. Oh, it was so good. A friend mixed it for me, so I'm not sure what it is called.

I like wine, red and dry. (Wait, did that sound too enthusiastic?? icon_smile.gif

cakesbycathy Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 10:54pm
post #9 of 43

I have rum, vodka, peppermint schnapps, kaluaha.

Sometimes I even put them in my cakes icon_biggrin.gif

Apti Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 11:12pm
post #10 of 43

I'm a teetotaler and always have been. We weren't raised with alcohol in our home, so by the time I was legal, it didn't taste good. I also don't like coffee--love the way it smells, just don't like the taste.

So...then I get into cake decorating as a hobby. I haven't tried 'em yet, but I have in my fridge, ready to go:
Bailey's
Creme de Cacoa
Kahlua
Ameretto
Vodka (for gum paste work)

I'm going to use them in my buttercreams and see what people think. I'll have to try people outside the family, because we will all probably think they are "yucky", lol.

caymancake Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 11:14pm
post #11 of 43

Baileys Irish Cream, vodka, brandy, cake wine, Guinness stout, gold rum (either tortuga, black beards (Cayman rum) or Appleton (Jamaican rum), and amaretto.

staceyboots Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 11:48pm
post #12 of 43

I use booze in my cakes all the time. On my shelf, I have:

Chambord
Creme de Menthe
Grand Marnier
Irish Cream
Mount Gay Brown Rum
Port Wine (I use a mixture of port wine, brown rum and stout to soak my fruits)
Lemoncello
Kirsch

MimiFix Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 12:01am
post #13 of 43

To all of the above liqueurs, I will add nut liqueur. It's usually red and goes into my red velvet cakes. http://bakingfix.com/thefix/?p=5014

Apti - Other than an opened bottle of wine, I never refrigerate any liquor. I don't drink, either, I just like to use them in baking. They seem to last forever just sitting in a cabinet.

kmstreepey Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 1:01am
post #14 of 43

Mimi, the red nut liqeuer sounds genious! I've been looking for an alternative to the red food coloring in red velvet cake. I haven't figured out how to make beets really work. How red does the cake get with the nut liqueur? I looked at your link, but my computer doesn't show colors super well. Thanks for the tip and the link!

Elcee Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 1:20am
post #15 of 43

Bailey's Irish Cream in bc and pastry cream and on the rocks
Amaretto di Sarrono, also in bc and pastry cream and with soda and a twist of lime
Peach brandy, bc and pastry cream and brandied fruit compote

I don't bake too much with liquor, mostly used for flavorings. I don't drink often but my top picks are the 2 mentioned above or a good margarita (rocks, not frozen, made with tequila, triple sec and lime juice, and NO salt; woe to the bartender who forgets and then tries to wipe it off icon_lol.gif). I also make a killer sangria (summer) and mulled wine (winter).

FromScratchSF Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 2:17am
post #16 of 43

Yeah, I'm hitting BevMo tomorrow and am going to come home with so much booze icon_biggrin.gif

MimiFix Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 2:33am
post #17 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmstreepey

Mimi, the red nut liqeuer sounds genious! I've been looking for an alternative to the red food coloring in red velvet cake. I haven't figured out how to make beets really work. How red does the cake get with the nut liqueur? I looked at your link, but my computer doesn't show colors super well. Thanks for the tip and the link!




My red velvet cake has a red glow; anyone who saw the cake would know right away it was a red velvet. But it's definitely not the bright red that comes from a bottle of color. The wonderful flavor imparted by the nut liqueur is a real bonus.

cakeandpartygirl Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 4:40am
post #18 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

Do none of you use alcohol for flavoring? Not just for painting?




I don't like the taste of alcohol so I don't use it in baking. I haven't had a customer ask for anything with it so....other than painting no, although I like the thought of offering a non-alcoholic variation to many of the mentioned flavorsc

Adevag Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 8:54pm
post #19 of 43

What a fun thread you started! thumbs_up.gif

I have yet to use alcohol in my cake batters, but the Pink Champagne Cake thread has definitely inspired me.

I have, however, used alcohol in my fillings. I like using Kahlua and Frangelico in ganache. I made a hazelnut mascarpone filling once and added Frangelico (as well as hazelnut paste) with great results.

I am making a brown sugar bourbon buttercream this week.

FromScratchSF Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 9:12pm
post #20 of 43

OH! Brown sugar bourbon??? Is that a crusting or a meringue? I've been meaning to try making brown sugar SMBC, haven't had the chance but that sounds divine, especially on a pumpkin or spice cake, yeah? Is that what you were planning on putting yours on?

justsweet Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 9:31pm
post #21 of 43

I use stout beer, vanilla cognac, rum - spicy and coconut, and khaula

MimiFix Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 10:05pm
post #22 of 43

Someone just gave me a bottle of very sweet Crema Lemoncello. It's "...created from selected lemon groves in the picturesque area of the Amalfi coast where the golden sun ripens the lemons to enhance their delicious and intense flavors." Yeah, yeah. I hate all advertising copy written for us suckers, but this is truly delicious.

I already have a Limoncello Cake recipe http://bakingfix.com/thefix/?p=3368 so I'm not sure what to do with this bottle. But if I don't decide soon, that Amalfi coast will be in my dreams.

FromScratchSF Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 10:17pm
post #23 of 43

:0 That sounds great! I've had cocktails made with it. I;m a sucker for the lemon!

Adevag Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 12:51am
post #24 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

OH! Brown sugar bourbon??? Is that a crusting or a meringue? I've been meaning to try making brown sugar SMBC, haven't had the chance but that sounds divine, especially on a pumpkin or spice cake, yeah? Is that what you were planning on putting yours on?




Yes, it will be a pumpkin spice cake. Last year, I made a crusting brown sugar bourbon buttercream. It was good, but I do prefer the meringue bc's, so I want to try a brown sugar IMBC. I am planning on having the middle of the three filling layers to be a butterscotch buttercream or filling.

It seems you can just use brown sugar instead of white sugar, just using your regular MBC recipe. What do you think is best to use, dark or light brown sugar?
It's expensive to experience with these recipes ( I know you buy expensive organic butters and eggs too) so if I can get it right the first time I would prefer to only make it once. Since they don't call for so much sugar to begin with, maybe a dark brown sugar is necessary for that molasses flavor to come through?

FromScratchSF Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 2:02am
post #25 of 43

Huh, I'd start with dark, and I plan on trying this recipe...

http://www.marthastewart.com/326515/brown-sugar-swiss-meringue-buttercream

It has 2/3 cups more brown sugar then her regular SMBC recipe so I think you have to use more.

scp1127 Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 6:32am
post #26 of 43

I probably have fifty items that include alcohol on my menu. In every case, I use it for flavor, not a novelty. Except for the Absinthe, the flavors are usually mellow, even though significant amounts are sometimes used. I never drink (migraine trigger), but the value of alcohol in baking is evident in our love of vanilla extract. Alcohol is a world of flavor possibilities.

Bailey's, on a specific cake with a complimentary filling, brushed.

Frangelico, chocolate chip cookies, with Chambord as two complimentary IMBC's for a Nuts and Berries flavor, yellow cake.

Makers Mark Bourbon in yellow cake for Boston Cream Pie and in sweet potato cheesecake.

Chambord in about five different cakes.

Advocat in IMBC for a custard or egg nog taste. Brush on cake also.

Myers Dark Rum for Pineapple Upside Down Cake.

Everclear for my homemade Limoncello project.

Limoncello for Limoncello Cake.

Coconut rum for German Chocolate Cake and Coconut Cake.

Absinthe for its own featured cake. A pleasant surprise. I thought this one would be too bold, but it really tastes good.

Cointreau for the Mimosa cake of snarky's.

Grand Marnier for anything with dried fruit, and fruitcake.

Fragoli for Strawberry Pink Champagne Cake.

Guiness Stout cupcake, Jameson infused ganache, Bailey's IMBC.

Guiness Stout in Gingerbread.

Banana Liqueur and Myers Dark Rum for Bananas Foster Cupcakes.

Hennessy Cognac in my regular yellow cake.

Godiva Chocolate Cupcakes with Godiva IMBC. Sometimes I mix it with Frangelico.

Kahlua brushed on chocolate cake with Kahlua Buttercream.

Makers Mark in Chocolate Pecan Pie.

Calvados on a French Apple Tart and in Apple pie... crust too.

Marsala, Brandy, Kahlua, in Tiramisu.

Kahlua in Cappuccino Cheesecake.

Bailey's in Strawberry Swirl Cheesecake.

Kirschwasser in Black Forest Cake.

Grey Goose Vodka in homemade vanilla extract.

Amaretto Di Saronno for almond flavor.

klangl Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 8:20am
post #27 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

I probably have fifty items that include alcohol on my menu. In every case, I use it for flavor, not a novelty. Except for the Absinthe, the flavors are usually mellow, even though significant amounts are sometimes used. I never drink (migraine trigger), but the value of alcohol in baking is evident in our love of vanilla extract. Alcohol is a world of flavor possibilities.

Bailey's, on a specific cake with a complimentary filling, brushed.

Frangelico, chocolate chip cookies, with Chambord as two complimentary IMBC's for a Nuts and Berries flavor, yellow cake.

Makers Mark Bourbon in yellow cake for Boston Cream Pie and in sweet potato cheesecake.

Chambord in about five different cakes.

Advocat in IMBC for a custard or egg nog taste. Brush on cake also.

Myers Dark Rum for Pineapple Upside Down Cake.

Everclear for my homemade Limoncello project.

Limoncello for Limoncello Cake.

Coconut rum for German Chocolate Cake and Coconut Cake.

Absinthe for its own featured cake. A pleasant surprise. I thought this one would be too bold, but it really tastes good.

Cointreau for the Mimosa cake of snarky's.

Grand Marnier for anything with dried fruit, and fruitcake.

Fragoli for Strawberry Pink Champagne Cake.

Guiness Stout cupcake, Jameson infused ganache, Bailey's IMBC.

Guiness Stout in Gingerbread.

Banana Liqueur and Myers Dark Rum for Bananas Foster Cupcakes.

Hennessy Cognac in my regular yellow cake.

Godiva Chocolate Cupcakes with Godiva IMBC. Sometimes I mix it with Frangelico.

Kahlua brushed on chocolate cake with Kahlua Buttercream.

Makers Mark in Chocolate Pecan Pie.

Calvados on a French Apple Tart and in Apple pie... crust too.

Marsala, Brandy, Kahlua, in Tiramisu.

Kahlua in Cappuccino Cheesecake.

Bailey's in Strawberry Swirl Cheesecake.

Kirschwasser in Black Forest Cake.

Grey Goose Vodka in homemade vanilla extract.

Amaretto Di Saronno for almond flavor.


I want to get drunk just thinking about all those recipes...I need to live in your liquior cabinet(wink, wink) .

I don't bake with a lot of alcohol, but I want to now.. I do put a little captain in it every now and then. I love rum balls and margarita bundt cake..

SandiOh Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 8:29am
post #28 of 43

oh, what a fun subject. LOVE to use alcohol in my cakes. Recently found a recipe from "Fields of Cake" for a caramel that uses Hot Damn cinnamon schnapps and chipotle powder....and it is PHENOMENAL. I also love to use Meyers Dark Rum in my rum cakes....mmmmmm.

mcaulir Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 8:43am
post #29 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

Huh, I'd start with dark, and I plan on trying this recipe...

http://www.marthastewart.com/326515/brown-sugar-swiss-meringue-buttercream

It has 2/3 cups more brown sugar then her regular SMBC recipe so I think you have to use more.




I used this one:

http://cakeonthebrain.blogspot.com/2010/06/caramelly-swiss-meringue-buttercream.html

which might be the same?

It was gorgeous! I used it on apple cupcakes, and it was the yummiest combination. I used light brown sugar.

scp1127 Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 9:13am
post #30 of 43

klangl, if you have great base recipes, many liqueurs and spirits can be adapted to use in those recipes. My one suggestion is to always buy top shelf. It is better to limit the flavors or just buy minis than to compromise on the quality. Lower quality alcohols will not yield the refined taste of the better ones. They are almost candy-like in baked goods. But if you do want to use them, or some you have around the house from mixing drinks, make the item fun, like copying a popular drink instead of a fine dessert.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%