Cake Boards

Decorating By Heather_bakes Updated 1 Oct 2011 , 3:03pm by CWR41

Heather_bakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heather_bakes Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 6:48pm
post #1 of 17

sorry this is such a simple question but I have not been decorating for long. What do you put your cake on? I think the silver cake boards often detracts from the cake design. I know you can cover them in fondant but that always struck me as an expensive way to cover the board.
I am sure there are solutions to this but I have no idea where to start looking. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

16 replies
sweet56pooh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet56pooh Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 7:11pm
post #2 of 17

You could cover the boards with wrapping paper then put clear contact paper over that. Just make sure your cake doesn't sit directly on the contact paper. I put a piece of heavy duty double stick tape on the base board so the cake won't move. HTH.

SomethingSweetByFlo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SomethingSweetByFlo Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 7:19pm
post #3 of 17

I always put my cakes on white food safe cake boards (small enough so that it cannot be seen), then place it on a cake stand or silver thicker cake board.

If the silver board clashes too much with the decor of the cake...then cover that with fondant. It makes it look much nicer and cohesive.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 7:21pm
post #4 of 17

Cake drums come in silver, gold and white. I always get white. Looks much better for my cakes.

Postal_Cakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Postal_Cakemaker Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 8:03pm
post #5 of 17

I take a cardboard box and cut that board to the size I want. Usually 2-4 inches bigger then my cake and cover it with all of the different color of foils available at any cake store.

My bottom cake board is usually 3-4 boards thick.

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 8:40pm
post #6 of 17

For the cake itself to sit on I use foam core cute to size covered with press'n seal but for the decorative part I use again foam core usually 3 for the thickness and sometimes like someone suggested cover with scrapbooking paper and then with contact paper (so the oil from the cake doesn't soak through. I sometimes use fondant. I also have seen someone that used fabric and clear shrink it basket wrap. It all depends on how I want the overall design to look.

jeartist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeartist Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 8:53pm
post #7 of 17

In some of Collette Peter's earlier cake books, she always poured royal icing on the cake boards and then edged with ribbon. Very pretty and much the same look as fondant.

jeartist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeartist Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 8:54pm
post #8 of 17

In some of Collette Peter's earlier cake books, she always poured royal icing on the cake boards and then edged with ribbon. Very pretty and much the same look as fondant.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 9:24pm
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

Cake drums come in silver, gold and white.

And black.
http://cakedeco.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_main.html?p_catid=388

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 7:12am
post #10 of 17

I usually use freezer paper over my foam core boards(about 3-4") larger than my cake. I'll use a cake board under the cake then position it centered on the larger board. After I've iced and smoothed the cake I'll cover the larger board with the same icing and then decorate & trim the edges of the board with ribbon. Just have to be careful when moving the cake.

me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 9:13am
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

Cake drums come in silver, gold and white.

And black.
http://cakedeco.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_main.html?p_catid=388

Thanks for that link, never knew there were black drums out there. I've never seen them in the shops here in London. I really like that!

dstippy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dstippy Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 10:08am
post #12 of 17

I also agree silver takes away from the cake. I didn't know you can get them in white or black. If anyone knows the cheapest place on line to get them, please share the info. I often have to make sturdy cake boards out of the thick, firm foam board.

I use the thin "foam" sheeting available in crafts stores to cover my smaller cake boards. http://www.michaels.com/Creatology-Foam-Sheets/gc1328,default,pd.html

It comes in many colors in small sheets. If it's a big cake and needs a big board I buy the foam sheeting by the roll and cut the size and shape I need, but I have only found it in white by the roll. I attach it using double sided tape or rubber cement. The surface looks like fondant, but cleans up really easily if you drop something on it while decorating the cake. I use ribbon around the edge to finish it off.

dstippy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dstippy Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 10:20am
post #13 of 17

I also agree silver takes away from the cake. I didn't know you can get them in white or black. If anyone knows the cheapest place on line to get them, please share the info. I often have to make sturdy cake boards out of the thick, firm foam board.

I use the thin "foam" sheeting available in crafts stores to cover my smaller cake boards. http://www.michaels.com/Creatology-Foam-Sheets/gc1328,default,pd.html

It comes in many colors in small sheets. If it's a big cake and needs a big board I buy the foam sheeting by the roll and cut the size and shape I need, but I have only found it in white by the roll. I attach it using double sided tape or rubber cement. The surface looks like fondant, but cleans up really easily if you drop something on it while decorating the cake. I use ribbon around the edge to finish it off.

johnsbrownsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnsbrownsugar Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 10:28am
post #14 of 17

I use inexpensive wrapping paper which corresponds with the occasion. Be sure to cover it with clear cello wrap. Endless options

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 12:53pm
post #15 of 17

I use wrapping paper or fabric that complements the cake design and colors. I cover 1/2" foam core with the paper/fabric, then cover that with contact paper. Your cake should not touch the contact paper, so I set the cake on its own plain white cardboard cake board. By the time I ice and put a border on the cake, you don't see the plain cake board.
Here's one with wrapping paper:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hjscakes/5459518147/in/photostream

Here's one with fabric:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hjscakes/4909013878/in/photostream

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 2:01pm
post #16 of 17

......take a cardboard box and cut that board to the size I want.........

This is NOT a good idea! Do you know where that box has been and what has touched it?
Also it is NOT strong enough. Maybe if you made two of the and put them to gether with the corrigations crossed (so it looks like this +) it will give it more strength.
Still I would not use just any cardboard box! I have worked in the back end of grocery stores. I have seen all kinds of creatures on those boxes, people walking on them and I've seen them stacked outside for days at a time. Would YOU want to eat off that??
Yes, you are covering it but still many times our board coverings tear and now the cake is exposed to all kinds to germs icon_sad.gif Also grems are getting on your hands while you work on covering it - again exposing the cake to all kinds of things.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 3:03pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstippy

If anyone knows the cheapest place on line to get them, please share the info.

You might like the prices at Viking Importing:
http://www.vikingimporting.com/index.php?cPath=146

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%