Source For Floral Wire For Gumpaste Flowers That Have Thread

Decorating By cloetzu Updated 18 Mar 2013 , 5:00pm by kisamarie

cloetzu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cloetzu Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 4:30pm
post #1 of 17

I'm looking for floral wire for gumpaste flowers but specifically the kind that has what looks like 'thread' wrapped around it vs paper.

If anyone can PM me a source or respond to this it I'd greatly appreciate it!! Preferably a source in Canada or the US..... but if not possible, ANYWHERE is fine icon_wink.gif

Thanks in advance!!

16 replies
Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 4:43pm
post #2 of 17

Not sure why you would want the thread wrapped type of wire... When working with gumpaste those threads keep coming unraveled and you need to wrap in floral tape afterward anyway. That being said, you can find them in any hobby store in the floral department. Paper wrapped wire is by far and away the most efficient and best wire to use for working with gumpaste.

cloetzu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cloetzu Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 5:48pm
post #3 of 17

Thanks Win,

I find the same thing with paper - when i try to insert it into petals the paper unravels... i used the cloth or thread type version this past weekend and didn't have the same problem.

I've been to all the local floral and craft stores locally and NONE carry it. Also checked with florists etc. So I need an online source.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 5:56pm
post #4 of 17

Hmm... do you use this brand of paper wrapped? I have never had it unwrap on me.

http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=16801&name=Paper%20Covered%20%20Wire%20-%2018%20Gauge%20-%20White

otherwise, there is a website called: a floral . com (run those all together to get the correct link.) where you can probably find the fabric wrapped.

Good luck!

chloe_52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chloe_52 Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 6:26pm
post #5 of 17

This is where I buy my supplies from and he has cotton covered wires

http://www.cakesbydesign.cc/ToolsSupplies.html

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 6:58pm
post #6 of 17

I buy the fabric covered wires at Hobby Lobby.

Walkinmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Walkinmomma Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 11:26am
post #7 of 17

Don't make the mistake of buying the cloth wrapped wire you find at the local craft stores. It is not designed for use with sugarpaste!  I bought some and also ordered some of the Paneca cloth wrapped wire(great for floral use-HUGE mistake for sugarpaste flowers!) Every time I tried to insert the wire into a petal or leaf the cloth unraveled.  Finally bit the dust and ordered some of the better quality(and more expensive) wire made for sugarpaste use and I will never go back to using the cheaper cloth wrapped-the new wire inserted cleanly into the sugarpaste and also gave a smoother look to the petal/leaf after thinning and veining. There is  one exception-if I am inserting the wire into a styrofoam ball or cone that will be glued, or if I am making a "bud" at the end of the wire for insertion into the sugarpaste then I will use some of my cheaper wire as unraveling is not an issue.  I now bring both kinds to class to show my students the difference so they do not make the same mistake I made!

P.S.-I now use my "bad" wire as practice wire when I am experimenting with new cutters!  I save my "good" wire for the finished products!

kisamarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kisamarie Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 10:18pm
post #8 of 17

Ok hopefully someone can help me with this, I didn't want to start another thread, and since this one is pretty much the same topic....  I CANNOT get my wire, wrapped or otherwise, to stay in my petals, leaves, etc.  I have used my gum glue to try to get it to stick better but they end up breaking through my petals leaves etc. or pulling right out.  I bought the cel cakes board and everything and I am still not having any luck.  All my flowers up to this point have been one solid unit, I cant get this wired petal business to work, frustrating!!!  Any help would be appreciated.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 11:44pm
post #9 of 17

are you using plain slick wire or is it wrapped with paper or something??

you want wrapped wire

kisamarie Posted 15 Mar 2013 , 12:17am
post #10 of 17

I've used all of the above, but I think I may be making my gumpaste too thin, and I usually do 50/50, maybe I should try straight gumpaste?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Mar 2013 , 12:25am
post #11 of 17

yes straight gum paste and yes the right consistency paste

i usually use egg white plus a tad of water for glue

the wire needs to be moist not wet

in fact you can wipe it off a bit after you wet it

and covered wire for sure too

you got it!!!

kisamarie Posted 15 Mar 2013 , 1:59am
post #12 of 17

Thank you K8!!!

Walkinmomma Posted 15 Mar 2013 , 6:57pm
post #13 of 17

You definitely need to use pure cumpaste and make sure the wire is not too wet.  I teach my students to dip the wire and then to wipe it on the top of their hand to remove excess moisture-if the wire is too wet it breaks through easily. "Sandwich" the petal between your thumb and forefinger and insert the wire into the gumpaste-that way you can feel the wire to be sure it is going in straight   Also be sure you are using the proper gauge wire for what you are doing.- and the proper type of wire.  I use the Japanese paper wrapped wire(see my comment above) not the cloth wrapped and definitely not plain wire-the gumpaste does not have anything to bond to and will just "spin" on a plain wire.  And most important-just keep practicing!

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 15 Mar 2013 , 7:15pm
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkinmomma 

You definitely need to use pure cumpaste and make sure the wire is not too wet.  I teach my students to dip the wire and then to wipe it on the top of their hand to remove excess moisture-if the wire is too wet it breaks through easily. "Sandwich" the petal between your thumb and forefinger and insert the wire into the gumpaste-that way you can feel the wire to be sure it is going in straight   Also be sure you are using the proper gauge wire for what you are doing.- and the proper type of wire.  I use the Japanese paper wrapped wire(see my comment above) not the cloth wrapped and definitely not plain wire-the gumpaste does not have anything to bond to and will just "spin" on a plain wire.  And most important-just keep practicing!

icon_twisted.gif *In Joey's How're you doin' voice from Friends* SOooooooooo, what kinda flowers you makin'? 

I just tried to read your entire post with a straight face. #fail!

pinky73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinky73 Posted 15 Mar 2013 , 8:23pm
post #15 of 17

*guffaw*

Awesome typo for the win!

Walkinmomma Posted 16 Mar 2013 , 10:22am
post #16 of 17

Sorry guys!  What an awful typo!!!!  You can tell I was on my first cup of coffee and  it was REALLY early!:)

kisamarie Posted 18 Mar 2013 , 5:00pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgcea 

icon_twisted.gif *In Joey's How're you doin' voice from Friends* SOooooooooo, what kinda flowers you makin'? 

I'm making Anenomes, but its not going well. I have resorted back to one wire with the petals attached to the center button.  I ordered some wire but it isn't going to get here in time, so I probably need to just go up to Hobbidy Lobbidy and get some.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%