Feeling Rather Embarrassed

Baking By ChilliPepper Updated 1 Oct 2011 , 4:37pm by Kitagrl

ChilliPepper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChilliPepper Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 11:51am
post #1 of 18

I know this will probably seem rather snobby and childish to some of you but I have just finished a Peekaboo Corset Cake for my friend's son's 18th birthday party and feel it is just tacky and tasteless. I personally would never order such an embarrassing cake for my children (if I had any) and wish I hadn't accepted the commission. I have made a promise to myself that I will never take on a commission for a body parts cake again! I've posted a pic in the naughty cakes section but I am certainly not going to show it on my FB page!

What do others think on this subject? I don't mind if you think I'm being silly and precious about it!

Love,

CP xxx

17 replies
faithc24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
faithc24 Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 12:26pm
post #2 of 18

To each their own, right! Money is money but at least this was a good project so you know how you feel about agreeing to something like that again in the future. I cannot take orders like that because I have children in the house and I don't want it setting a wrong example! icon_smile.gif But if I didn't feel good about what was being ordered vs. the age it's being ordered for, I wouldn't take the order.

gatorcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gatorcake Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 12:50pm
post #3 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChilliPepper

I know this will probably seem rather snobby and childish to some of you but I have just finished a Peekaboo Corset Cake for my friend's son's 18th birthday party and feel it is just tacky and tasteless. I personally would never order such an embarrassing cake for my children (if I had any) and wish I hadn't accepted the commission. I have made a promise to myself that I will never take on a commission for a body parts cake again! I've posted a pic in the naughty cakes section but I am certainly not going to show it on my FB page!

What do others think on this subject? I don't mind if you think I'm being silly and precious about it!

Love,

CP xxx

Snobby no, childish no, these terms do not describe the sentiment. Prudish maybe, but I do not think you are being prudish. The "right" answer is for you to make what you are comfortable making. You not feel these kind of cakes are appropriate and you have good reasons to think so. Others will find them appropriate and have good reasons as well. You are simply opting not to provide them with that kind of cake and there is nothing that requires you to. Kudos to you for being willing to stand on your principles. Nothing to be embarrassed about.

southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 1:24pm
post #4 of 18

Chilipepper, I applaud you. Of course we all find ourselves in awkward situations ....things seemed ok in the abstract but when executed you get a gut feeling that makes you uneasy. You're aren't prudish either. I see this less in an embarrassing sexual context and more in a questionable subtext of female objectification made even more distressing because it is encouraged in a young man/boy .

mhcl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mhcl Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 2:08pm
post #5 of 18

I was asked by a good friend if this kind of cake would be good for his mother's 60th birthday party. The thought of it made me cringe and I am by no means a prude. (He did change his mind pretty quickly.
Hopefully out of your bad feelings for this cake I can maybe give you a little smile. While peeking (sorry, I couldn't resist the wording) my 3 year old son came behind me and saw it. He said "that's a funny cake." I asked him why and his response was "she wears a thing like you do." Then he looks down inside his shirt and says "I don't, I'm small yet".
I think you're perfectly fine with the way you feel. The world could use a little more modesty in my opinion;o)

bunnypatchbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bunnypatchbaker Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 2:32pm
post #6 of 18

Don't be embarrassed for standing up for your principles! I would never do any kind of naughty cake and I am not ashamed to say so. It is not just about money - it about do what you think is right. At the end of the day your name is going to be attached to whatever you make. I had a call from a mom who wanted me to make a naughty cake for her son's birthday. She had been a regular customer for several years. I politely told her that I did not do those kinds of cake. She told me that she didn't think that I would but that they only wanted it as a joke. I again told her that I appreciated her business but that I was not interested in doing anything like that. That was about a year ago and I haven't heard from her since. I lost a customer but I kept my dignity, principles and my reputation. I would rather be a poor, non-busy baker than known as someone who will do anything for money. You cannot put a price on having values! thumbs_up.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 2:45pm
post #7 of 18

In the end, you have to do what you're comfortable with.

Personally, I love making naughty cakes. I've made some that made me blush when I delivered them. I've also done some that were pretty and not raunchy.

ReneeFLL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReneeFLL Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 2:48pm
post #8 of 18

You have every right to do and feel how you want. For those that are prudes, it is their right to feel how they feel for whatever reason and they should not be ashamed of it. They are hurting no one. I am not saying you are one at all. If you are not comfortable with it that is fine. Do what makes you happy.

ChilliPepper Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 3:04pm
post #9 of 18

Thanks everyone for your input. Made me feel better and I will stick to the 'no body-parts cakes' rule in the future!

Love,

CP xxx

kathie-d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathie-d Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 3:39pm
post #10 of 18

You did a great job on this. Everyone has a different comfort zone and now you know what yours is. In my opinion there is no right or wrong, just what is comfortable for each individual. Someone commented on your picture about being crass...I think that is a little harsh. If someone is comfortable making a cake like this I don't think they should be judged for doing so. If your comforatable with it great, if not that's fine too...but just because one person isn't comfortable with it doesn't make it wrong for another. Just to be clear..this is not directed at the OP and respect her for knowing what she is comfortable with.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 3:52pm
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross

Chilipepper, I applaud you. Of course we all find ourselves in awkward situations ....things seemed ok in the abstract but when executed you get a gut feeling that makes you uneasy. You're aren't prudish either. I see this less in an embarrassing sexual context and more in a questionable subtext of female objectification made even more distressing because it is encouraged in a young man/boy .

I agree with the response by southerncross 100%. I also think that it's ok to do these cakes as mentioned by Texas Sugar. With that said, I would never do one of these if I were a baker selling cakes. I probably will never do one as a hobby baker.

20 years ago I nearly married a lovely man. While we were together (about 2 years) he made a surprise meatloaf dinner. The meatloaf was in the shape of male parts (exaggerated somewhat of course!). That was the most fun I've ever had eating meatloaf. But, , we were 2 adults, alone having dinner--no one else was present. Each baker will have different ideas and feelings about naughty cakes. So...I end up saying both ends of the naughty cakes spectrum are ok--ok to bake and ok not to bake.

It is such a struggle to not only acknowledge political correctness, but to LIVE it for our children. In the USA we just celebrated the 20th anniversary of the "Tailhook" scandal. It has changed the way the entire US Navy treats women in the service.

ChilliPepper Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 10:28pm
post #12 of 18

Just an update - Joe was the lovely polite young man I know he is when I arrived at his party and he thanked me for his cake saying it was great.

His mother told me when he saw it he said, "Why did you have to get me a cake like that? Why couldn't you have got me a football shirt cake?"

Speaks volumes doesn't it?

CP xxx

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 11:00pm
post #13 of 18

Thanks for the update, ChiliPepper. That does indeed say volumes...

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 11:42pm
post #14 of 18
Quote:

J
His mother told me when he saw it he said, "Why did you have to get me a cake like that? Why couldn't you have got me a football shirt cake?"

Speaks volumes doesn't it?

CP xxx

Ironic that the teen had higher standards than his mom. I would never have done a cake like that for an 18th bday.. 30th bday, maybe. But surely not 18th.

BizCoCos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BizCoCos Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 12:01am
post #15 of 18

I do not know if I would do these types of cakes, I don't care for them, you did a great job however, but what was this Mother thinking?

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 1:35am
post #16 of 18
Quote:

I have made a promise to myself that I will never take on a commission for a body parts cake again!

Me, too, ChilliPepper. This is a little crazy, but 2 of my mother's best friends are a lesbian couple and I made a boob cake for her to give them for their birthday. I felt weird making it and while I did take a picture, I've never posted it anywhere. I've decided no body parts at all, not just private ones icon_smile.gif no severed limbs, no headless, limbless torsos.

ChilliPepper Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 4:10pm
post #17 of 18

I'm so glad there are other cakers out there that feel like I do. That cake will always be my biggest regret! But it's over and done with now and I will never have to feel so bad about my cakes ever again!

CP xxx

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 4:37pm
post #18 of 18

I have my own rule...I have four young boys....if I can't explain the cake to them....I won't do it. haha.

I've done a few borderline cakes before...one or two I regretted accepting the order. I just don't put them on my website.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%