Heating Core

Baking By ria1981 Updated 30 Sep 2011 , 8:42pm by AnitaK

ria1981 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ria1981 Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 9:02am
post #1 of 4

Hello
I am baking a 12 inch cake and yesterday failed dramatically... So ive looked into a few way and i was wondering when using a heating core do you need to change the temp of cooking/ lenght of cooking time for such a large cake?? i am using a old tin can as the heating core as sugested on a few posts on here. Please help.xx

3 replies
doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 10:29am
post #2 of 4

I would not use a tin can. I baked three 12 inch cakes tonite and I just used a flower nail in the pan as a heating core. It works great and there ia almost no hole in the center. If you're using a tin can, aren't you left with a big hole in the middle of the cake?

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 11:43am
post #3 of 4

I haven't had luck with heating cores either. I use a few inverted rose nails for larger cakes and like the previous poster said, they work like a charm! Just make sure you grease them with cake release!

AnitaK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnitaK Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 8:42pm
post #4 of 4

I wouldn't use a tin can either but to avoid a hole, even when using the heating core, you just pour batter in the center. Metal flower nails work fine as well. Just be sure to "prepare" whatever you use, as you do the pans.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%