Buttercream Looks Greasy

Baking By prichardsk Updated 2 Oct 2011 , 12:43am by JanH

prichardsk Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 4:28am
post #1 of 2

Okay so I use bunnywomans buttercream recipe. I live in Houston now which is very hot and humid. I just came from Sacramento CA like 5 months ago. Found her recipe so decided to try it. I love it. Except I can't figure out why when I do a buttercream cake or put the buttercream on my cupcakes they are very shinny greasy looking. I hate giving a cake/cupcakes to a friend/customer and it looks full of grease. It tastes great, but I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

I'm using target shortning, great value sweat cream butter (walmart), 1/3 cup water with the tsp salt and extracts. And then great value powder sugar. Is it because I am using generic brands. I have used better pwd sugar and no different. Thought maybe I was leatting my butter get too soft before creaming with shortning so today I let it sit out just a little bit. It still looks shinny. Anyone have any suggestions.

What kind of buttercream do most cupcake shops use??? The seem to crust but not a hard crust and never look greasy. Also, I like that the buttercream gets a crust so that you can use the viva, but I don't like when I bite into a cupcake later on that day it is hard on the outside. How to get a soft crusting buttercream????

1 reply
JanH Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 12:43am
post #2 of 2

Bunnywoman's b/c recipe:

Are you using a stand mixer with the beater blade?

Quote by @%username% on %date%