I Need Advise

Decorating By Tfaye Updated 1 Oct 2011 , 12:13am by Tfaye

Tfaye Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 1:38am
post #1 of 10

If I put the dowels in, and plate seperaters, can I stack my cake tonight or should I wait until the night before I deliever the cake to stack the cake and put the fondant on it? I don't want it to cave in.

I've never done a 16 inch stacked cake before.

Thanks
Tammy

9 replies
VaBelle Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 2:00am
post #2 of 10

I would assume that if your cake is properly supported, it won't cave in no matter when you stack. Because of timing issues, I usually do mine the day before, but I've read of people here having their cakes ready earlier whether it be their time schedule or the clients.

CWR41 Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 2:00am
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfaye

If I put the dowels in, and plate seperaters, can I stack my cake tonight or should I wait until the night before I deliever the cake to stack the cake and put the fondant on it? I don't want it to cave in.

It won't cave in, if it's supported properly.
http://www.wilton.com/cakes/tiered-cakes/stacked-tiered-cake-construction.cfm

BTW, the fondant goes on it before the dowels and plate separators.

jules5000 Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 2:05am
post #4 of 10

tfaye: when do you deliver it? If it is only a day or so away, I would go ahead and stack it now, that is I assume what you are planning to do and deliver it stacked? WHy not put the fondant on it before you stack it? Why not take it and stack it there? just ideas. I guess it depends on how big it is going to be. If youare only talking like 3 tiers then that is another story. just make sure you put plenty of dowels in for support for the bigger layers. How big is the cake that is going on top of the 16"? Have you ever used those plastic dowel rods that Wilton puts out? I like those better when it is a large size cake that I am putting together. It just seems a little better supported.

Best wishes.

Tfaye Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 2:43am
post #5 of 10

Whoa, a lot of thoughts here. I think I confused you guys. I'm just putting one 16 inch circle cake ontop of an other. Then I was going to frost it and put fondant around both cakes. Once the fondant covers both cakes I'm putting a bunch of flames as the boarder around the cake and a motorcycle ontop of the cake. (decoration)

The support would be between the two cakes. Maybe I don't need support for just two stacked cakes? IDK

I'ts getting late and maybe I might wait to stack it until I find out if we are all on the same page with stacking. I'm really new to this.

Thanks
Tammy

leah_s Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 2:55am
post #6 of 10

You need support every 4 vertical inches.

Tfaye Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 3:53am
post #7 of 10

I did that and now the cake is stacked un-even. OMG I give up. If I try to straighten it, then the top cake will fall apart.

I think this will be my last cake for a long while.

Thanks for all the help everyone has given me here at the forum.

Tammy

ReneeFLL Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 4:19am
post #8 of 10

Tfaye definately don't give up. We all have/had our learning experiences.
Did you level the cakes before stacking?

CWR41 Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 4:52am
post #9 of 10

Oh, since it's just a two-layer cake, you don't need to use any supports as long as it's two 2" tall layers and there isn't another tier (layer cake) going to be stacked on top.

Tfaye Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 12:13am
post #10 of 10

I did level it. Maybe I'm just to overwhelmed to be making cakes right now. I thought since the cake was so big it needed support when stacked.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%