Calling All Cake Police!!!!!

Decorating By jlcalvert Updated 29 Sep 2011 , 11:33pm by jlcalvert

jlcalvert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlcalvert Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 10:57pm
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone,
Just a quick question. I live in Louisiana and am a hobby baker. Most people at my daughters school know I bake cakes for family. However, today a lady asked me to make a cake for her daughters birthday. If I did I would only charge her for the ingredients. Is this ok?

Thanks

6 replies
mariacakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariacakestoo Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 11:06pm
post #2 of 7

Sorry, you shouldn't have said anything. The authorites have been notified, and are on their way. It's like Minority Report, for cake.

traci_doodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci_doodle Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 11:07pm
post #3 of 7

http://homebasedbaking.com/knowledgebase/rules-regulations/louisiana/#axzz1ZNyTNlE6

I think it's illegal to even charge for ingredients if you're not licensed, but that doesn't mean that people don't do it. If you do decide to charge, I would be very upfront with the fact you are not licensed.

Navyempress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Navyempress Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 11:08pm
post #4 of 7

If in doubt, don't. If you need to ask, just don't do it.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 11:09pm
post #5 of 7

I don't know the law(s) in you state, county, city. They can vary widely. There are many,many of us who started this way.
If/When you figure up the amount to charge her, do include *everything* used, board, boxs, dowels, mix, sugar, etc, etc, etc.
Yesterday I drove some 30 miles to a 'bakery' that was advertised on the 'net. It was a private home! No, I didnt go to the door......I was very dissapointed and drove on. What a waste of gas icon_sad.gif

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 11:23pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariacakestoo

Sorry, you shouldn't have said anything. The authorites have been notified, and are on their way. It's like Minority Report, for cake.

LOL icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Grab your Kitchenaid and run!

jlcalvert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlcalvert Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 11:33pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellbella

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariacakestoo

LOL icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Grab your Kitchenaid and run!

icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif OH NO!!!!!!

Too funny!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%