Twig Cake Decoration Ideas?

Decorating By cowie Updated 30 Sep 2011 , 7:10pm by cowie

cowie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowie Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 9:42pm
post #1 of 6

I am making a three tier cake with twigs coming up vertically from each layer. I am in need of some ideas on how to decorate the sides/top of the layers so that it doesn't look plain. I want it to look elegant and not take away from the twigs, The icing will be white on white. Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

5 replies
gfbakergirl88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gfbakergirl88 Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 4:25am
post #2 of 6

Do you have a picture of how you want the cake to turn out? Im having a difficult time envisioning the cake...but from what I understand....I would just leave the tops smooth no border on top or bottom. Good luck!

JanetBme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanetBme Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 11:47am
post #3 of 6

I did a wedding cake like that- that was rough iced.... I have to tell you, I hated that cake. It came out exactly what it was supposed to look like- my edges were perfect and the cake was straight. But because it was rough iced, people looked at it like....hrmm....that's odd....that's a wedding cake?

So my recommendation is do smooth icing-make it clean and precise.

I dipped my twigs in isomalt so up close they were so lovely- they looked like it was after an ice storm. Too bad no one got past the rough icing to notice the details....

cowie Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 2:35pm
post #4 of 6

I am afraid of what this cake will look like too...however what the bride wants she gets right? I will try my best to get the 'perfect' look with the fondant, however, there is always some part bubble/bump or something that drives me crazy so I try to do some sort of scroll work on the sides to 'hide' any issues in the fondant. Wish me luck, i'll let you know how it turns out. Clean and crisp here I come! lol

http://www.marthastewartweddings.com/photogallery/branches-and-twigs?lpgStart=1¤tslide=3¤tChapter=1

That is a link to a similar picture of the cake that is wanted. I don't want to make the sides too busy but thought I might need some 'hiding' design...

me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 3:03pm
post #5 of 6

Some gorgeous ideas in that link - thanks cowie!!

cowie Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 7:10pm
post #6 of 6

No problem! So I finished the cake and simple and elegant was the way I went. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%