Baking By platinumlady Updated 3 Oct 2011 , 9:41pm by platinumlady

vtcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vtcake Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 1:33am
post #31 of 39

congrats on the weight loss

The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 2:09am
post #32 of 39

I'm sorry to say but I completely understand why platinumlady feels a little put out. The same thing happened to me. I was treated like I'm a bit of an idiot just because I don't bake from scratch. I even asked for my post not to turn ugly and it did. Too often, these posts are getting nasty. I feel like it's the same people doing it each time too, any time there's a post regarding scratch baking or home baking! I wonder sometimes, how this person even finds time to bake since they pretty much live on here! So to platinumlady: I know how you feel. icon_sad.gif

The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 2:14am
post #33 of 39

And now to respond to the original post... if someone wants undecorated cupcakes, they should just go to a grocery store not a custom cake decorator. To me, it looks like platinumlady does custom work that takes hours (similar to my cakes) and I wouldn't really want to waste my time (and talent) on bare cupcakes either.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 2:28am
post #34 of 39

For your information Sugar-Fairy, I read CC in the middle of the night. I bake when I want and how much I want, as I do not need to work. I do exactly as I want. And your old post was about putting fake pudding in a scratch cake. My question was why? If you were selling it, it would not be scratch. As I pointed out then and now, with the volume of pm's I get, it is very evident that CC does not revolve around a single post. There are those of us who supply information to people who really are trying to learn to bake or start a business. In the middle of a scratch baking thread, my observation was relevant, as the addition of that box of pudding may be confusing to a person persuing the craft.

The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 2:40am
post #35 of 39

SCP: You know what I thought about after the fact (regarding my post)... you kept going on about chemicals in the cake, etc. Well, I decorate my cakes mainly in fondant which is full of chemicals, so what's the point in avoiding chemicals if I'm going to cover my cake in it, lol!

Anyway, I'm not going to take over this post... I just wanted platinumlady to know that she really didn't do anything wrong and that some people on here can be insensitive. No more said from me. icon_biggrin.gif

LoverOfSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoverOfSweets Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 1:31am
post #36 of 39

If you were really worried you could always charge the full price but then print out a sheet of premade mini circles with your logo and stick those bad boys to the bottom of your cupcake wrapper. They get what they want and you get advertising! Easy money. I am a small hobby baker, but I would jump on the chance for that kind of easy money. Lets be honest...the cooking is the easy part! icon_smile.gif

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 1:59am
post #37 of 39

I love to bake and if someone asked me if I would bake them a batch of cupcakes and not ice them I would say sure. How many do you need?, WHat flavor and when do you need them by? There are all kinds of reasons that people would want cupcakes without icing, not that I would be one, but if I had my choice I would much rather choose a home baker that I knew could bake and had scrumptious flavors than get them from a bakery. It was pointed out that the decorating is the time consuming part and how right the were. I would just figure out how much my cake ingredients costs me and how much time it costs me and come up with a price. I have priced cupcakes at the bakery and they are no less than . 60 apiece and go up from there and those are decorated. very minimally, but I would still think that you could charge .50 a cupcake anyway. To me it is still a compliment that someone wants me to bake for them. To each his own.

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 9:39pm
post #38 of 39

Again thanks for all the feedback

@jules5000 I'm not a home baker. I rent a commercial kitchen to make all my cakes, pops, pies etc. As for selling cupcakes for .50 I would not be able to stay in business icon_sad.gif ... on another note I love the scripture as your signature. It is one of my favorite scriptures...In my top 3.

Thank you all again.

Happy Baking

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 9:41pm
post #39 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtcake

congrats on the weight loss

Thank you very much. It's been hard because lately my back has been basically out...& haven't been able to exercise...But it's still coming off & I am thankful.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%