:'( I Need Help With My Carrot Cakes

Baking By Lovelyladylibra Updated 30 Sep 2011 , 5:22am by sillywabbitz

Lovelyladylibra Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 4:17pm
post #1 of 8

Okay so Ive tried 3 different carrot cake recipes

the first tasted nothing like a carrot cake

the second I got from here (the carrot or banana cake) it was much much too oily

the third was a doctored cake mix following the wasc recipe (but whole eggs obviously) and I added raisins and walnuts, it was sooo dry

Does anyone have a good, not to oily not too dry but still tastes like carrot cake should taste recipe? i don't mind if its doctored or from scratch as long as its tried and true. please. Cause Im about to just give up on carrot and move on.

7 replies
hugsfrombev Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 4:49pm
post #2 of 8

Every time I make this people go nuts!! It is not oily, it is very very moist and flavorful. You can use oil instead of applesauce, but it is much better with the applesauce.

2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons pumkin pie spice
2 cups sugar
1 1/4 cups applesauce
4 large eggs
3 cups grated peeled carrots
1 1/4 cups coarsely chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter two 9-inch-diameter cake pans. Line bottom of pans with waxed paper. Butter and flour paper; tap out excess flour. Whisk flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in medium bowl to blend. Whisk sugar and oil in large bowl until well blended. Whisk in eggs 1 at a time. Add flour mixture and stir until blended. Stir in carrots, walnuts and ginger. Divide batter between prepared pans.

Bake cakes until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Cool cakes in pans 15 minutes. Turn out onto racks. Peel off waxed paper; cool cakes completely.

sberryp Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 5:07pm
post #3 of 8

Let us know how it turns out.

kakeladi Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 5:29pm
post #4 of 8

...........doctored cake mix following the wasc recipe (but whole eggs obviously) and I added raisins and walnuts, it was sooo dry...........

Did you use my *original* WASC recipe? I have never had a problem w/it being dry. In fact, most people seem to think it is too wet/moist.

I use pineapple juice instead of water
Add 1 medium fresh carrot, grated (about 1/2 cup)
No oil is used!

MimiFix Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 6:03pm
post #5 of 8

I use my basic yellow cake recipe. For carrot cake I add grated carrots and spices. This way I can make a large basic batter and take off what I need for making just one carrot cake.

One of my students made the Better Homes & Garden carrot cake using the fresh ginger and adding 1 teaspoon cinnamon. http://www.bhg.com/recipe/layer-cakes/ginger-carrot-cake/ She won first place in her county fair.

Lovelyladylibra Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 6:15pm
post #6 of 8

Hmm since Ill be testing out a few I guess Ill test them all lol. I have to find pumpkin spice though. I didn't use pineapple juice with the doctored recipe, maybe ill try that way but if I can find a better scratch id definitely rather. Thank you everyone, give me about a week and Ill post how they came out!!!

JanH Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 4:55am
post #7 of 8

This butter based carrot cake recipe definitely isn't oily (just delicious):

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6073/carrot-cake-straight-up/

HTH

sillywabbitz Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 5:22am
post #8 of 8

This is my favorite carrot cake recipe. I do follow the suggestion in the comments of using 1 cup white sugar and 1 cup brown sugar. It's awesome.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/carrot-cake-iii/detail.aspx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%