Need Some Advice For Fondant And Baking Ahead Of Time

Decorating By EricasCakeCreations Updated 1 Oct 2011 , 4:36am by EricasCakeCreations

EricasCakeCreations Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 2:41pm
post #1 of 9

I have to make 2 separate cakes this month, both using fondant. I've only used fondant to cover a cake once, and that was in class, when I was learning. So first question is if I bake my cake a week or so ahead of time, and work on decorating it throughout the week, will it still be fresh?

I have to make an xbox cake along with the controller and a game cover. Any tips on how to make this? I'm hoping it will be fairly easy, but again, I'm not very familiar with working with fondant. I have to dye the fondant black, and they want the actual cake itself, a neon green. I'm planning on using rice crispy treats for the controller and possibly the game. I feel like I will be so overwhelmed once I start icon_surprised.gif . So I could use as many tips as possible! Thank you!!!

8 replies
EricasCakeCreations Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 5:17pm
post #2 of 9

Anyone?!

katsmeow2727 Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 7:11pm
post #3 of 9

I have made my cakes as early as 5 days before serving. I read online you can take a week to decorate and then its good to eat for a week. This is dependant on cake/iceing/filling type. I almost always use buttercream with mm fondant on top. I bake the cakes one night, cut and ice the next night and cover in fondant the next night (plus decorate). For colors if you want true black I would either a) buy black fondant at Micheals, Hobby lobby or Walmart, Wilton or Duff brand is what I have available where I am at. OR b) make white mmf and then take gel color with a couple drops of vodka and paint it black. True black is hard to get at home, at least in my experience. This is probably true for very neon lime green as well. Good luck I am sure it will turn out great!

msulli10 Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 7:30pm
post #4 of 9

I always bake my cakes in advance and then freeze them. I take the cake out 2 days before and start filling, icing and decorating. I've made 2 xbox cakes (see my photos). They were not hard at all. I think I baked a 9X11 cake and carved it to the shape I needed. Then I torted the cake and filled it. Crumb coat it and then you can cover it with fondant. I would suggest you buy black fondant - it's a tough color to make on your own. You can buy black fondant in Michael's and use a coupon to save money.
I also made the controller and a game out of rice krispy treats. I got an edible image made of the game and placed that on top of the rice krispy treats. My local supermarket (Stop and Shop) only charges $5 for a full page of images. Good luck.

Goreti Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 7:31pm
post #5 of 9

I have never made an Xbox cake but I found some information for you which may be helpful. Check out: http://cakefixation.blogspot.com/2009/01/xbox-360-cake.html--Good luck

EricasCakeCreations Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 3:27am
post #6 of 9

Thanks so much for the replies.
Goreti, thank you for the link!!!

Also, I was planning on using chocolate fondant and dying it black for the xbox. Is that a bad idea? The only black fondant I have found so far is in a pack of 4 colors, and they are maybe 2 ounces each... which would be impossible for me to use.

Dani1081 Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 4:25am
post #7 of 9

Definitely start with chocolate fondant - you will use so much less gel color to get it black and it will taste great! If you have a cake store nearby, get Americolor's Super Black (also available at Hobby Lobby). It works really well. Oh, and I agree with everyone else - I wouldn't take more than 2 - 3 days max to decorate a cake before delivery. I normally try to deliver a cake within 48 hours after baking at the most.

aprilismaius Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 5:04pm
post #8 of 9

@EricasCakeCreations, you can also order black fondant online. You can get SatinIce or Fondx fondant from www.globalsugartart.com or fondantsource.com in black. There are other websites, too.

EricasCakeCreations Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 4:36am
post #9 of 9

Thanks. I want to try to stay away from ordering online. It seems so much more expensive. I actually work at a craft store. So I try to buy from there first. I'm really hoping dying chocolate fondant black will work. I'm planing on using wilton's icing color or Duff's icing color.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%