Led Lighting... "floating" Cakes... Help!

Decorating By charlottexgrey Updated 2 Oct 2011 , 12:36am by charlottexgrey

charlottexgrey Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 5:37am
post #1 of 5

So we're having a baking contest at work and I enjoy playing with fondant on the side (I'm definitely still a beginner). I'm looking to make a cake based off of this sculpture....
http://www.riftjunkies.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Big-Fire-Rift-Image.jpg
I work for a video game company, so that's why it's a little...odd. Lol.
Anyways, I was looking to use a clear tubing in the center like in this cake below:
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/295891_263201150386425_104699396236602_850301_98251875_n.jpg
I thought maybe I could put LED lights in the center of the tubing to give the fiery appearance, but would the light shine through even the thinnest layer of fondant?

Any other thoughts on how this could be approached are greatly appreciated.
I know it's kind of sci-fi and odd, but I'm looking for any opinions!! icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
MikeRowesHunny Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 7:18am
post #2 of 5

If they were bright enough and the fondant were thin enough, I don't see why not. Think lighted gingerbread houses with melted hard candy windows. Could that be an option, putting isomalt on the tubing?

charlottexgrey Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 4:13pm
post #3 of 5

I've never worked is isomalt before. Is it easy? icon_confused.gif

labmom Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 12:25am
post #4 of 5

This looks so interesting... the whole thing..Isomalt would look much like this stand. that is a great idea.

I have heard that isomalt is so much easier than just using sugar... and you can buy the stix now so you can make as much or as little as you need..

I am curious and would love to know what kind of cake do you plan on displaying on this type of fancy lit stand.

if you don't want as bright a light as the led light you could use the tiny battery powered craft lights in the tube.. for more of a dim light..

Please post your finished product on here I would love to see what you do..

charlottexgrey Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 12:36am
post #5 of 5

Well I want to cake to actually resemble the sculpture, not use it as a stand.

It's just for a baking contest at work. I'm doing a Halloween cake and adding monsters and ghouls of sorts coming out of the flames. It's based off of the video game: Rift, and I think it would make more sense as a concept if you were familiar with the game.

But I just wanted to challenge myself and that was the concept I kind of came up with. Very excited, although I haven't found lighting that would work yet ): nowhere I go seems to sell wireless LED party lights! ARGH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%