Fondant, Gum Paste, Marzipan...what's The Difference?

Decorating By coachjrob Updated 30 Sep 2011 , 3:55am by auzzi

coachjrob Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 3:15am
post #1 of 5

Ok, I'm really new at this so please forgive all the questions.

What's the difference between fondant, gum paste and marzipan? Is one easier to work with than the other? How do I know when to use what?

I'm making an Elmo cake for my daughter's first birthday. I want to decorate the "present" part of the cake with yellow, blue, and red polka dots about 1/2 in diamater. I also want to make the big google eyes and oval nose for the Elmo jumping out of the cake. And, I want to use small cookie cutters to spell out the message on the cake. Which one would I use to do these things?

Thank you all so much! icon_smile.gif

4 replies
sandy1 Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 2:16pm
post #2 of 5

I hope this web site will answer some of your questions:

sandy1 Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 2:28pm
post #3 of 5

Oops, the rest of the web address was cut off. I hope you'll get the entire address this time.

Go to the left side of the site listings, there's a section called Edible Clay, click on the section (differences).

coachjrob Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 4:00pm
post #4 of 5

Oh my goodness sandy1 I can't thank you enough! This website is terrific!

auzzi Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 3:55am
post #5 of 5

Rolled fondant is a cake covering. It's sometimes used for modelling, but it has an element of "softness" that makes for droopy figurines and flowers ..

Gum paste is a modelling medium that dries hard. Great for figurines and flowers.

Marzipan is a nut paste that is used as a cake covering or a cake undercoat or small figure modelling.

Quote by @%username% on %date%