Second Disaster Of The Night :(

Decorating By tsal Updated 1 Oct 2011 , 4:01pm by jules5000

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 1:46am
post #1 of 9

I posted before about my honeycake sticking to the pan and breaking. I rebaked both the 6" round and the 8" hexagon. The recipe is for a traditional honeycake so there is no icing involved.

The problem is that the 8" (which is the one I'm supposed to be serving tomorrow) is totally sunken in the middle. The 6" is fine, but it's tiny and i'd be embarrassed to bring that to SIL's lunch tomorrow. I'm pretty sure that when I opened the oven to remove the 6", the cool air deflated the 8".

I'm at a loss. I did not promise a cake, but I have to bring something. I have already baked 4 cakes tonight, and I'm tired and feel like crying.

Should I try to cut up the hexagon into squares and create a platter out of it? Can I do that easily with a hexagon-shaped cake? I also have the 6" round to use.

8 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 2:12am
post #2 of 9

When I have a problem cake I cut it up and place the pieces in paper muffin cups. (First flatten each paper cup so they're not so rigid.) Sometimes I mix sizes and shapes - perhaps squares and triangles. No one will know you had a problem. To the contrary, they will be impressed with how nice your platter looks. (And I think the sinking cake might be from underbaking.)

tsal Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 2:16am
post #3 of 9

I love the different-shapes idea! I was thinking about serving them on muffin liners as well.

It's nice to know that the cakes can be salvaged!

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 2:26am
post #4 of 9

mimifix; if you turn your lemons in to lemonade then no one will know any different. You will be the only one who knows what happened. it could be the cool air hitting it when you took out the 6", but it could also be from underbaking it. it depends on how much it sunk. Maybe next time you could put the hexagon cake in first and after 10 or 15 min. put in the 6" round. That way they get done closer to the same time and if they are not one is far enough along that it won't be hurt by the couple of minutes or less that you are taking one of them out. it usually only takes me seconds to take one out, but if I have to test it it could take a full minute or so. Some cakes are a lot more tempermental and don't like that big a degree difference even for a short while. best wishes. Or you could turn the cake that didn't turn out into cake balls and roll them in toasted coconut or pecans. I believe you said it was a honey cake and wouldn't need icing. As long as you can turn it around and make it look intentional no one will know, but then don't go telling on yourself afterwards either.

tsal Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 2:34am
post #5 of 9

I tested the recipe last week and it was perfect (but I only had the 8" in the oven so I didn't have to open the oven prematurely).

I'll try not to tell on myself... Lol! I usually do and dh gets so mad at me for pointing out all the problems!

Candice56 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Candice56 Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 2:55am
post #6 of 9

You have a great idea by cutting it up and serving it in cupcake liners. Go and enjoy the lunchon tomorrow and don't fret over it no one will know the difference. icon_wink.gif

Tails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tails Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 2:27pm
post #7 of 9

cake pops!!! icon_biggrin.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 6:10pm
post #8 of 9

I love the cutting up idea. You could also cut a circle of cake out of the center, then drizzle the cake with a glaze, kind of like a bundt cake.

I bake mixed sizes all the time. Whenever I need to open the oven, regardless of what is in there, I open it just an inch or two for a few seconds to kind of 'equalize' the temperature, then open the door all the way. If you just swing the door all the way open, cool air will be sucked into the oven, causing problems.

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 4:01pm
post #9 of 9

Dianelm: That is a great idea. I think that I have done that before and not even known what I had done had helped me out. OR maybe why it had helped me out. Thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%