Have You Made A Giant Cupcake Cake? ???? :)

Decorating By sccandwbfan Updated 12 Oct 2011 , 12:11pm by Serena4016

sccandwbfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sccandwbfan Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 12:55am
post #1 of 18

I was just wondering if you have, how'd you pleat your fondant cupcake liner? I saw Christopher Garren do it by taking a cake board and making a fan with it and laying it on there; do you have any other ways of doing this?

TIA
Christy

17 replies
theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 3:43am
post #2 of 18

I use the Wilton giant cupcake pan. Bottom is already fluted! I find the pans can be used for other things too, like the bottom of a basket (in my gallery) besides the giant cupcake! Good luck,I've also seen beautiful work on here where CCers coat the bottom of the cupcake pan with chocolate.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 1:39pm
post #3 of 18

Like theresaf said, it's easy to coat the inside of the pan with melted chocolate or candy melts. Just brush it on, tap the pan on the counter to get rid of air bubbles and pop it in the fridge. I usually use two coats. Tap it gently upside down to release it from the pan. Here's what it looks like when finished:

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2068977

Hope this helps!

sccandwbfan Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 8:25pm
post #4 of 18

Thank you. Your cake was very cute poohsmomma. icon_smile.gif both are very good ideas.

sccandwbfan Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 5:51pm
post #5 of 18

This is what I ended up doing:

I iced it smooth with Buttercream and then took a bag filled with the same color and used a large round tip, piped lines up the side and then used a spatula to make the piped lines look like the pleats in a cupcake wrapper. I can't remember if I posted the picture, but I will soon.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 6:03pm
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by sccandwbfan

I was just wondering if you have, how'd you pleat your fondant cupcake liner? I saw Christopher Garren do it by taking a cake board and making a fan with it and laying it on there; do you have any other ways of doing this?

TIA
Christy

Hi I've made a few and I use a pan however I don't find it fluted enough once I've covered it with fondant so I use a ball tool to gently run down the fondant to deepen the pleats icon_smile.gif

allaboutcakeuk Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 6:12pm
post #7 of 18
Quote:

TIA
Christy

Hi I've made a few and I use a pan however I don't find it fluted enough once I've covered it with fondant so I use a ball tool to gently run down the fondant to deepen the pleats icon_smile.gif

allaboutcakeuk Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 6:16pm
post #8 of 18
Quote:

TIA
Christy

dynee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dynee Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 6:22pm
post #9 of 18

I just saw the chocolate giant cupcake and was wondering was is there such a difference in size between the baked cake and the chocolate "cup cake liner" that it will fit into it. I'm still confused.

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 6:27pm
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynee

I just saw the chocolate giant cupcake and was wondering was is there such a difference in size between the baked cake and the chocolate "cup cake liner" that it will fit into it. I'm still confused.

I'm also wondering about that!

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 6:33pm
post #11 of 18

There is a tutorial somewhere online about doing the chocolate wrapper and it says the cake base won't fit so instead people place 4 inch cakes inside the wrapper and just back the topper in the pan. That doesn't seem like much cake to me though. The other option is to carve the base cake down just a bit so it fits in the wrapper.

Serena4016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Serena4016 Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 6:51pm
post #12 of 18

I just made one recently for my daughter (it is the second one I made). They are a bit tricky as far as I'm concerned. It is in my gallery. I made a candy shell for the bottom and yes you do have to cut the cake down to fit inside. I put icing all around the inside of the shell (because I felt it would be damn near impossible to ice the cake and slide it in) and put a layer of cake inside and then a layer of icing, another layer of cake,etc... I actually built the cake inside the shell. I treated the top as an entirely different cake. I actually made it a different flavor and used a cake board under it AND ran a very small dowel through them both. I know, maybe it was overkill but I like my cakes to be well built!!

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 7:05pm
post #13 of 18

Serena4016
Your cupcake is adorable. Would you mind sharing how you did the graphics on your K? I love the swirls and the splatter. Really unique!

fabray13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabray13 Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 7:41pm
post #14 of 18

So when you make the liner with the candy melts, do you have to do multiple coats? I just feel like it would not be strong enough to hold cake with frosting and not crack. They look soooo cute and I want to try it, just concerned!

KatsSuiteCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatsSuiteCakes Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 7:59pm
post #15 of 18

My cupcake cake in my pics was a lot more work than I had anticipated. I have the silicone Giant Cupcake Mold, and used 4 coats of candy melts for strength. I had to carve a lot of the cake off for a good fit, and still worried about the candy coating holding up and not cracking. I used mine as a 2nd tier atop an 8 inch round, and am glad that I did. There wasn't a lot of cake left after carving, even with the top of the cupcake.

Serena4016 Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 10:17pm
post #16 of 18

I did 2 pretty thick coats. Honestly, I would say it was maybe 1/4'' thick. I just poured the melted candy melts in and rolled it all around and kept rolling until I felt it was coated well, poured out the excess and popped in fridge until set, took it out of fridge and did it again. The second time because the stuff was cold it set up VERY quick. Next time I would wait a little while for it to not be quite so cold and then do the second coat. It was VERY solid and came right out of the pan with no problem at all (quite honestly, that surprised me!!). The "K" was hand cut and handpainted...SEE KAYLA'S CUPCAKES in my gallery (turq. and Black) for other similiar designs. I cut out the K and painted the bottom gradating up to the top and then just handpainted the swirls and dots on and speckled it with black. Then I attached it to fondant disc i had used an impression mat on.

audrey0522 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
audrey0522 Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 11:03pm
post #17 of 18

poohsmomma
Loved your cake! How did you put the cake in the shell? Did you trim the cake down? Thanks!

Serena4016 Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 12:11pm
post #18 of 18

Yes, I posted on page 1 of this forum how I did it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%