Has Anyone Ever Tried Vacuum Sealing Cakes/cupcakes?

Decorating By kawaiixoxo Updated 29 Sep 2011 , 2:27pm by ibmoser

kawaiixoxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kawaiixoxo Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 12:40am
post #1 of 5

I like to have some frozen (that are already cooked of course) just incase someone will be stopping by and I can just take them out for a few hours and frost them. But I was wondering if anyone has ever tried vacuum sealing cakes or cupcakes...if so I have a few questions.

1. Did it squash the cupcakes?
2. How long does it last in the freezer before wasn't good anymore?
3. Was the cake/cupcake still yummy (moist and had the flavor)?
4. How long did you let it sit out before eating it?
5. Will it work for cookie dough thats already formed into balls ready to cook?
6. Any tips and tricks?

I assume this would work seeing it as just placing cupcakes/cakes wrapped in plastic wrap and putting it in a ziplock bag works but I would love to try it with a vacuum sealer.

Thank you so much for reading my very wordy post. icon_smile.gif

4 replies
Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 1:11am
post #2 of 5

Yup - it squashed the cupcakes! If you put them in a Tupperware container then do it - it works, but not without something harder around it. icon_smile.gif

MadMillie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadMillie Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 1:16am
post #3 of 5

Freeze them for about 2 to 3 hours on a cookie sheet, then bag them. They shouldn't get smished. I have some mini red velvet in the freezer, probably a month or so. I occassionally take one out and you wouldn't know they were frozen. I was doing freezing them just so I could answer the same questions.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 3:44am
post #4 of 5

Put a piece of cardboard in the bottom of the bag. Add cupcakes. Put a piece of wax paper or parchment on top. Seal bag and stop just as it starts to hug the cupcakes. I don't freeze them. This is how I ship them. The icing is bagged separately.

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 2:27pm
post #5 of 5

I, too, partially freeze before vacuum sealing. My sealer has a "pulse" feature that allows me to remove only as much air as I want to prevent compacting baked goods, but if your does not have that feature, just hit the seal button as soon as it begins to pull in around the cupcakes. I have frozen vacuum-sealed (unbaked) cookie dough for 3 months with no discernable difference in taste or texture when baked. I have left 8" vacuum-sealed cake layers in the freezer for almost a year - they were fine. I don't sell anything, BTW - this was just for personal experimentation icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%