Question For All The Business Owners!

Business By CupcakeMoma Updated 30 Sep 2011 , 8:45pm by CupcakeMoma

CupcakeMoma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupcakeMoma Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 8:53pm
post #1 of 16

I would like to start my own business one of these days.
I have only been doing cakes 6mo, but have been interested my whole life!
I understand I need more experience, but not sure how to get it.
Thought of working in a bakery, but they require..you guessed it "experience". How do you get experience if no one will hire you as a intern or something?

So my question for all the business owners is, how did you get started? What are somethings you have done in your career that you might have changed? whats your success story?

Anything will help!
Thanks!!!

15 replies
btrsktch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
btrsktch Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 9:08pm
post #2 of 16

Take classes
Watch videos
Buy books
Practice, practice, practice
And then, practice some more

ufo9978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ufo9978 Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 9:25pm
post #3 of 16

I think the best way is to practice. make cakes for your family and friends as a gift. you can make cakes for your local schools and day cares. Yes I agree with btsktch watch videos (use you tube and buy videos as well). you can also use dummies to learn new techniques.

tmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmcakes Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 9:32pm
post #4 of 16

I started out making cakes for family and friends, make sure you take pictures of your work and put them together in a portfolio that way if you do interview with bakery you can take your pics with you to show what you can do. It should not matter if you were paid to make the cakes it's showing what you can do! But a word of advice doing cakes for family and friends can get very expensive, especially as your skills get better! HTH

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 9:36pm
post #5 of 16

A lot of places do not require much experience. Have you considered a grocery store bakery?

Even if you work there 6 months, you will get vast amounts of experience, lots of photos and you can move up from there.

I began at a Walmart with no experience. I knew what a tip was, but I couldn't even make a rose. They basically paid me to screw up until I got it right.

Absolutely invaluable experience I wouldn't trade for anything. It also makes me truly thankful for the work I get to do now!

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 2:02am
post #6 of 16

That wasn't true in my case. The only thing I learned working in a store bakery was how to ice a cake lickety split. It was not worth the hell of working at that grocery store.

madcobbler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madcobbler Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 2:30am
post #7 of 16

Even if you have never worked in a commercial bakery you can get a job if you can prove you can decorate. Start a portfolio of all the cakes you make. Most grocery store bakeries will hire you with little to none previous work experience. Some stores bring in a trainer to teach you how to ice cakes.

SweetpeasBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetpeasBakery Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 3:52pm
post #8 of 16

"you can make cakes for your local schools and day cares."

Honestly it's probably not feasible to do so. Too many kids have allergies today for schools and day cares to accept cakes made from unlicensed sources, it's just too much risk. Even if they do accept it, I would personally never do so in the event that something DOES happen. It makes you very vulnerable on a legal front.

On another note, I've made cakes here and there a few years now but always as a hobby. After thinking about going into business, to make sure it was something I really wanted to do, I took classes to learn a few extra skills. In town we have a community center that does them from time to time (and pretty inexpensive at that) so I signed up. It was a 6 week class and I had a lot of fun. That's the only 'real' experience I had prior to opening my business just over a week ago.

You will gain experience as you go. icon_smile.gif

ufo9978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ufo9978 Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 5:45pm
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetpeasBakery

"you can make cakes for your local schools and day cares."

Honestly it's probably not feasible to do so. Too many kids have allergies today for schools and day cares to accept cakes made from unlicensed sources, it's just too much risk. Even if they do accept it, I would personally never do so in the event that something DOES happen. It makes you very vulnerable on a legal front.

On another note, I've made cakes here and there a few years now but always as a hobby. After thinking about going into business, to make sure it was something I really wanted to do, I took classes to learn a few extra skills. In town we have a community center that does them from time to time (and pretty inexpensive at that) so I signed up. It was a 6 week class and I had a lot of fun. That's the only 'real' experience I had prior to opening my business just over a week ago.

You will gain experience as you go. icon_smile.gif

NO I meant for teachers..Our teachers love to be my taste testers and always give nice comments and suggestions..No don't make for the kids..sorry for the confusion

Pieceofcakebyrita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pieceofcakebyrita Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 6:43pm
post #10 of 16

I had a cake promo, I charged $25 for 3d cakes and mostly advertised at work and Facebook and within 3 months, I had a full portfolio, I pretty much had to work for free, but the whole thing didn't cost me a dime and I can charge lots more money for the cakes because I have proof of my work and testimonials of it. Some people don't like working for free and snub their noses at this method, but it worked like a charm for me and the photographs of my cakes were worth every free minutes of my time! Hope this helps!

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 7:01pm
post #11 of 16

Take classes....Michael's teach the Wilton's classes and some tech schools have adult class at night. If you have a bakery/cake decorating supply store nearby they should offer classes. Even bakers in the area might offer classes.
YouTube is a great source for instruction/advice.
There are several great videos on the market as well.

CupcakeMoma Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 7:27pm
post #12 of 16

Oh what great advice! Thank you.
So I should still apply at the bakery/decorating jobs even if they say "experience is a must" or "Only experienced"?
I feel like that would be lying a little bit...?
I'm going to be doing the classes at Michaels, I hope next month. I'm in college, work full-time and a moma to 3 small kids. Not sure if I should put more on my plate until this submester is over with!
I will continue doing cakes for free to get more pictures for my portfolio and then maybe try appling for the bakery jobs!...If I can stand my current job until then! icon_smile.gif

Thanks for all the help!
I <3 this forum!!!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 8:34pm
post #13 of 16

The most important thing to do if you want to start a business is to know how to run a business. If you've never done anything that gives you experience in that, look into your local S.C.O.R.E. group. They're retired business people who can give you coaching on what to do and what not to do.

elliespartycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliespartycake Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 8:46pm
post #14 of 16

Costumeczar is right! BUSINESS PLAN. You can be the most amazing decorator, but with out a business plan you are doomed to failure, or to go broke.
When my oldest daughter's best friend was getting married. I offered to make her cake as my gift. What a trial by fire! I had baked forever and done some decorating, but nothing like a wedding cake. I loved it though and set about writing a biz plan so I could jump in full time. So far, I'm loving this and my plan has been my guide.
Good luck!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 9:12pm
post #15 of 16

You're in college? Take cake, cupcakes, cookies, etc... to class. Quite a few of your classmates will be getting married in a few years and hopefully all of them will have graduation parties. That's what I did. College kids LOVE free food!

CupcakeMoma Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 8:45pm
post #16 of 16

Yes I'm in college, going for business managment (So I can learn how to run a business) icon_smile.gif
I will ask my professor if I can bring in some baked goods for the class, thats a great idea!
Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%