Help!!!! "snow" Textured Wedding Cake

Decorating By JoanieB Updated 29 Sep 2011 , 5:42pm by JoanieB

JoanieB Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 8:26pm
post #1 of 22

I WOULD attach the photo, but apparently cake central hates me and won't upload anything and I've tried several times.

Here's the deal, I have a bride wanting a particular technique done to a cake which I can't really seem to find the same effect anywhere on the web, she has it in a magazine (which I've scanned). It's not coconut and they want this done with buttercream because that's what the pic looks like. I hope that there is someone out there that has a genuine interest in helping cause I'm going a little crazy right now trying to reach out to folks and with this photo not uploading in the forum it's maddening icon_cry.gif

It looks as though "sticky hands" were used to make this but yet it looks too "fluffy" I'd be happy to email the photo cause apparently it doesn't even show up in private messages.

After I post this I'm going to try and upload it to my photos and see if that works. And that's become a not so easy effort recently either icon_sad.gif

21 replies
JoanieB Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 8:32pm
post #2 of 22

Okay, I've added the picture to my photos!

bakencake Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 8:52pm
post #3 of 22

ohhh! i too am curious

azchic Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 9:03pm
post #4 of 22

What about thining the icing slightly and using a sponge like when you texture a wall with paint? I've never seen a cake like that but that's the only guess I have good luck

alissan Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 9:14pm
post #5 of 22

it almost looks like they sprayed it on with a texture gun.

Apti Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 9:44pm
post #6 of 22

Yup, that's a beautiful cake. Nope, don't know how they did it.

However....You can come close to that texture by using sotas. A wonderful commercial baker, Tortnaya, on another thread at Wilton . com, created a small wedding cake using sotas and it looks similar to the picture you posted. I just tried to load a photo attachment and had no luck either, so I'll give you the link to her thread. She has 2 photos in her original post.

http://www.wilton.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=3&threadid=156034

JoanieB Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 10:40pm
post #7 of 22

Thanks for the ideas. Now, I don't think sotas alone would give the effect exactly, and the sponge wouldn't make it "fluffy" looking. But what if I did the sponge technique over the sotas???? Hmmmm....what do y'all think??

KoryAK Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 10:48pm
post #8 of 22

I think you should sponge, chill, sponge, chill, etc... until you get enough texture. If the icing was thin enough and you load the sponge up enough I think it will work. I think the sotas are going to be way too much work for not enough of the right effect.

hammy3 Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 11:22pm
post #9 of 22
BizCoCos Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 11:40pm
post #10 of 22

.ooo

JoanieB Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 11:41pm
post #11 of 22

Hammy, that looks really similar. My hands, fingers, and wrists hurt just thinking about doing sotas over the entire thing icon_cry.gif

icer101 Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 11:49pm
post #12 of 22

I agree with hammy3 and apti.. I saved to my pictures. Zoomed in and i do see that it is like sotas. It is not sponged in or textured in any way. Yes, it it a lot to do, but it is very pretty. I doubled clicked on the pic that apti showed, then clicked on save pic as. then saved to my pictures. then went back and clicked on the pic and zoomed in really close. hth sotas is not a hard as cornilli lace. ha! To me, it is really faster. hth

JoanieB Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 12:14am
post #13 of 22

I appreciate everyone's help sooooooo much. I think I'm going to practice this tonight and see what I come up with.

icer101 Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 12:22am
post #14 of 22
sewsweet2 Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 2:11am
post #15 of 22

Sotas are easy. Just be sure and thin down your buttercream or you hand will fall off from piping.

MamaDear Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 2:38am
post #16 of 22

looks like sotas, done with the tiniest tip possible and very thin icing. makes my hand hurt too...

JackieDryden Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 3:11am
post #17 of 22

I know this doesn't help alot, but the sponge might actuall work if it's dampened or you can use a thin icing and take fork tines and swirl and lift-hard to explain, but I've made stuff that looked really similar and took no time at all using the fork-wish I had a picture!

icer101 Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 3:22am
post #18 of 22

sewsweet2 is correct. Sotas is easy to do.I would even use tip2

ssimonds2 Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 2:38pm
post #19 of 22

Have you thought about using white chocolate shavings?

MamaDear Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 2:44pm
post #20 of 22

It might be time to invest in a 42 (double round) or 89 (triple round) tip... heck i would try a grass tip and see what that looks like because that is a lot of piping. It does produce a beautiful cake though.

mbyrne Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 4:16pm
post #21 of 22

There is a "stucco" technique you could try. I also saw it on the Next Best Cake Maker on TLC. I think he frosted in butter cream then "slapped" on royal icing to make the effect. Someone else said to use a sponge or back of a spoon to do the same thing. There is a thread in here another page in or so.

JoanieB Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 5:42pm
post #22 of 22

Just a heads up, the moderators removed the photo from my gallery since it did not belong to me. Regardless of the fact their website never works properly and wouldn't let me post it in the appropriate place icon_confused.gif

I'm so glad that y'all gave me such great advice and I will probably first try sotas and if that doesn't give me the affect I may try a sponge or something. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%