Chocolate Cake Of Some Sort

Decorating By CandyLady Updated 29 Sep 2011 , 11:39am by CandyLady

CandyLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyLady Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 11:59am
post #1 of 7

boss loves chocolate, carmel...any ideas for something yummy.

6 replies
matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 12:26pm
post #2 of 7

Off the top of my head, I would do a chocolate layer cake, filled with caramel, frosted with chocolate mousse, and a ganache top.

However, Martha Stewart has a chocolate caramel salted cake on her website from one of the popular NYC bakeries.

cookiemom51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemom51 Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 1:04pm
post #3 of 7

You don't say if you want to frost and decorate, but here is a delicious recipe I have enjoyed many times. Don't know how it would behave for frosting and decorating.

Turtle Cake

1 (18.25 ounce) package German
chocolate cake mix
14 ounces individually wrapped caramels
1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk
3/4 cup butter
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
Directions:
1.   Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease one 9x13 inch pan.
2.   Mix cake mix according to package directions. Pour a little less than half of the batter into prepared pan and bake for 15 minutes at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) remove from oven.
3.   Melt caramels, margarine, and milk in the microwave on high (takes about 10 minutes), stirring a couple times. Or alternately melt in a sauce pan over medium low heat. Pour melted caramel mixture over cake, sprinkle with pecans, and chocolate chips, and pour remaining cake batter over the top.
4.   Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 20 to 35 minutes.

CandyLady Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 1:24pm
post #4 of 7

would like something you have tried and yes I would have to frost/decorate it to bring into office...chocolate carmel mousse sounds great but is it really sweet?

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 2:54pm
post #5 of 7

Anytime you say caramel, by definition, it is sweet. Caramel is almost all sugar. So balance it with rich dark chocolate.

Use any good basic chocolate cake recipe. Use Dr.Oetker's boxed chocolate mousse for quick and easy, or make your own. Make a dark chocolate ganache for the top. You could even do a cookie crumb on the sides for texture/crunch.

Here is a great recipe for the caramel:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6851/thick-caramel-sauce-or-filling/

The mousse is not sweet and the ganache will provide a strong balance to the caramel.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 9:09pm
post #6 of 7

You said cake, but I don't know if you are open to cupcakes.

I'm new at this caking thing (close to 2 years). I don't do scratch baking, but usually doctor the absolute heck out of Duncan Hines mixes which I use as my base/dry ingredients.

Last year I tried a Sprinkles Salty Caramel cupcake and thought I was going to die and go to Heaven! I searched and searched for a similar recipe with ZERO success. I tried 4 different versions of existing recipes and finally got one that is the closest to their fabulous taste treat.

So far everyone who has tried one of these cupcakes has an O....M....G..... response. They really are amazing.

If you wished, you could make the cupcake with a Chocolate or German Chocolate mix, but the caramel cupcake recipe below is my recommendation!

Here's the recipe:

Here's the description by Sprinkles of this mouthful of delectable, melt-in-your-mouth, fabulousness: "Caramel cake with a buttery caramel cream cheese frosting topped with fleur de sel".

Here's my version. The cake recipe is mostly from the Cake Mix Doctor, and the frosting recipe is mostly from http://www.lynnskitchenadventures.com/2010/11/caramel-cream-cheese-frosting.html---my deep thanks to both of these women!:

Caramel Cake:

Duncan Hines 18.25 oz. yellow cake mix
1 cup sour cream
1/3 cup canola oil
1/4 cup water, warm, with heaping tsp of Coffee-Mate Caramel Macchiato mixed in thoroughly
1/4 cup sugar
4 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 TBSP Butter Pecan flavor (from a commercial bakery supply company: http://www.internationalbakers.com/
They were kind enough to mail me a sample at no charge! They have a world of amazing flavors!)
You can also google "butter pecan extract" for other suppliers.

Non-crusting Caramel Cream Cheese Frosting (recipe makes enough to generously frost 24 cupcakes):

1/2 cup unsalted butter, at ROOM TEMPERATURE
8 ounces of cream cheese, at ROOM TEMPERATURE
1 cup of caramel ice cream topping
6 cups of sifted powdered sugar
About 1 heaping TBSP of large grain salt.

Beat butter and cream cheese well. Add caramel and mix until well combined. Slowly beat in powdered sugar until smooth. Immediately after frosting cupcakes, while the icing is still "wet", sprinkle each with a generous pinch of large grain salt.
-----------
Things I'll try next time in the cake: Using 2 TBSP of the Butter Pecan flavor and forget the vanilla. It smelled SO good, I'm surprised people weren't knocking on my door begging to be let in.

Things I'll try next time in icing: Substituting Nestle La Lechera Dulce de Leche caramel for the caramel ice cream topping.

p.s. I tried to add an attachment picture of the ingredients, but CC won't let me. You can see a photo on my thread on another forum:
http://www.wilton.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=7&threadid=155496&FTVAR_MSGDBTABLE=

CandyLady Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 11:39am
post #7 of 7

sounds delicious....I do remember reading your post and laughed about the tums...thanks everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%