Cake Baking Question----Calling All Experts ;)

Baking By Debbye27 Updated 29 Sep 2011 , 10:49am by jules5000

Debbye27 Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 12:41am
post #1 of 11

I am making two cakes - one is cookies and cream, the other I'd like to make chocolate chip..... I'm wondering that if you add cookies and chocolate chips to the batter - do they all sink to the bottom or do they bake evenly? And does anyone have a good suggestion for a base recipe? White, yellow...I like to make cakes from scratch but don't know which would taste better. Any thoughts would be appreciated!!

10 replies
SweetSouthernBakery Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 12:53am
post #2 of 11

Try coating the chips and cookies in a little bit of the flour from the recipe and that should help it from sinking.

kmstreepey Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 12:53am
post #3 of 11

I make a chocolate chip cake with a basic white cake recipe and throw in mini chocolate chips. They were evenly dispersed and stayed that way. It probably mostly depends on the thickness of your batter and the size of the cookie pieces and chocolate chips. I hope that helps!

instant-gratificaketion Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 1:09am
post #4 of 11

I attempted a chocolate chip cake with a regular vanilla cake recipe and even coated the chips with flour...they all sunk. Unless the batter is really thick it's pretty difficult to get them to stay put.

I have used the delicious Chocolate Chip Cake recipe from Whimsical Bakehouse (can be located online) and if you go to, you can find a couple of really good cookies & cream recipes, I think they are under the cupcakes category.

Brettley Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 1:42am
post #5 of 11

When I make my cookies and cream cake, I use 1 package of Cookies and Cream Jello pudding and mix that in with whatever recipe I am using. Whether it be a chocolate cake, white cake, etc. You could use 2 if you like! It gives it the flavour and keeps the cake extra moist.

As for specific cake, Stick to what you like the best. To add the actual cookies, I crush up 1-1/2 cups and add them to the batter AFTER it has been poured into said pan. I usually use my magic bullet to grind them up a bit. The heavier they are the faster they sink.

I use the same kind of method for the chocolate chips. I make a double chocolate cake with chocolate chips, and I add the chips in AFTER the batter has been poured into the desired pan.

I have never had a problem with either sinking to the bottom! Also....another idea, when I make cookies and cream cupcakes, I put a whole oreo cookie inside the cupcake liner, then pour my batter with the dry pudding mixture over top! It bakes soo nice and I tell ya, my daughter and her friends LOVE it!

Hope this helps!

Debbye27 Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 3:23am
post #6 of 11

Thanks for all the tips...I'm definitely going to use them!! I'm so glad I found this forum icon_smile.gif Will be posting pics of my soon to be masterpiece!!

jules5000 Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 3:33am
post #7 of 11

All of those ideas sound yummy. Quite a while back, either Pillsbury or Betty Crocker had a cake that was called a Chocolate chip cake on it and on the back of the box it had another idea on how to use it. I tried it a couple of times and it was yummy. However, I do not think that I ever got it cut out of the box because it had been around for so long I didn't think I would need to and now I have not seen it for awhile. BUt it was kind of making a torte out of it and using part whipped topping and something else for the filling and topping. It was scrumptious. Anyway just wanted to let Debbie know these were all good ideas and I back them all up.

megpi Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 9:19am
post #8 of 11

I just made a chocolate chip cake that went over quite well. I used my regular vanilla butter cake, but I subbed all brown sugar for the white sugar, doubled the salt, and vanilla, then I folded in mini chocolate chips at the same ratio as a chocolate chip cookie (12oz chips to 8oz butter). It was a thick batter, so the chips stayed in place.

jules5000 Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 10:08pm
post #9 of 11

megpi, that sounds delicious, do you mind sharing your vanilla butter cake recipe with us? TIA.

megpi Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 11:24pm
post #10 of 11

no problem

the regular recipe is as follows

8oz butter
3c ap flour
1T baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2c sugar
4 eggs
1c sour cream
1tsp vanilla

cream butter and sugar until light
add eggs and vanilla until incorporated.
add flour and sour cream, alternating between additions.

for the chocolate chip cake I used 1 1/2 cups brown sugar instead of granulated, upped the salt to 1 tsp, the vanilla to 2 tsp, and added 12oz of mini chocolate chips.

Just a warning, it's a denser cake to begin with, and the brown sugar makes it a little bit more dense, but it's tasty.

jules5000 Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 10:49am
post #11 of 11

Thank you so much and I have one more question for you. Since it became a denser cake with the brown sugar did it take any more time to bake then a usual cake does? I assume that you baked this at 350?

Quote by @%username% on %date%