How To Attach A "flat" Fondant Figure To Bc Cake?

Decorating By AJinCA Updated 28 Sep 2011 , 4:03am by AJinCA

AJinCA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AJinCA Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 11:40pm
post #1 of 7

Hi - I am a newbie. I'm working on my daughter's mermaid theme party for this weekend and have made a mermaid figure... and she's flat. Can I attach her to the side (width) of the cake layer? I was planning to make a 11" base with a 9" tier on top.
Any suggestions on technique? Or should I try to prop her on a "rock?" (She's NOT pretty from the back.)
Thank you!

6 replies
ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 12:14am
post #2 of 7

You can definitely stick her to the side of the cake. If your icing has already crusted, you can brush the back of the figure with water or even attach her with melted chocolate.

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 12:37am
post #3 of 7

if she is too heavy i would think of sticking her with toothpicks on her back and into the cake. let me know how you stuck her. im curious.

FleurDeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FleurDeCake Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 1:10am
post #4 of 7

I would use melted chocolate as opposed to gum glue or water . The chocolate will be much more secure. If you can stick a toothpick partially thru her back and then apply the chocolate to the back of the figure and then into the cake .

All4Show Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
All4Show Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 1:14am
post #5 of 7

Try covering her back with piping gel. Then stick her to the cake and brace her in with toothpicks until she adheres. When you are ready to present the cake, remove the toothpicks and make the small repairs to your BC or fondant. Nest time try drying her on a curved surface so more of the back of your figure will stick to the cake. She's cute.

gidgetdoescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gidgetdoescakes Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 1:38am
post #6 of 7

I would use a tooth pick in addition to melted chocolate, use it in an area you can hide it , like her belly button

AJinCA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AJinCA Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 4:03am
post #7 of 7

Wonderful suggestions - thank you!! I will update this thread when it's all said and done (likely Sunday evening, as the party is Sunday day)... I appreciate it very much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%