Best Way To Do Royal Blue, Gold & Silver Fondant?

Decorating By kiddiekapers Updated 30 Sep 2011 , 4:41am by Tfaye

kiddiekapers Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 10:36pm
post #1 of 4

just had a drop-by-my-apt cake order LOL
some kids that attended my neighbors 18th party came by & asked if I could make their moms cake for Saturday (this coming...october 1st)
i'm asking for suggestions because my brain is fried right now LOL!
my LO has a cold, and working on his molars... my body doesn't know what sleep is basically.
ok, this is their inspiration cake. they'd like that royal blue (not navy) fondant... what's the best way to get this color/shade?

how about the gold & silver for the bows? I want to get those made up ASAP so they'll dry.

and then the glasses etc around the sides, they want "40" & maybe purses & shoes... girly type stuff. (this is for their moms 40th) instead of the crystals, they want a 4 & a 0 sticking out up top. i don't have any of that luster stuff.. .never used it.
so, just need advice, tips for the shade of blue & the silver & gold...
& best way to cover a cake with fondant?

it's going to be plain vanilla... they were amazed I could make it any color... they're like "it can be any color, but still be vanilla?" (they're almost 17 & like 20!!) and the almost 17yo wants me to make his birthday cake next month too.

that's the influence cake

3 replies
kakeladi Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 5:53pm
post #2 of 4

I hope you got help via priviate message. Sorry I haven'tr been around for a few days.

In the pic you posted the glasses etc around the sides of the cake are just piped on using a small round tip like a #2 ir 3,
For the gold & silver you need petal dusts mixed w/something like vodka and painted on the ribbons of fondant.
For royal blue just paste/gel colors. You should be able to buy a royal blue; if not use lots of color of any blue, then if needed, add a tiny speck of black to darken it some. Try to stay away from 'sky blue' as it has lots of green in it and wont give a nice royal shade.

kiddiekapers Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 9:08pm
post #3 of 4

thanks. actually, you're the first person to respond.
I FINALLY found Royal Blue at Walmart of all places.
AND... no where has the luster dust in stock. WTH?
I did find the gold & silver spray by Duff...
seriously, 4 stores & that was the only thing I could find!
Beats nothing.
I'll be making the fondant later today & making the bows.

Tfaye Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 4:41am
post #4 of 4

I work at a retail cake supply store and use the silver spray all the time and it works so great. The luster dust sells out almost as quick as we get it in.

Quote by @%username% on %date%