Different Icings For Different Occasions?

Decorating By wannabe_cake_maker Updated 28 Sep 2011 , 9:08pm by mariacakestoo

wannabe_cake_maker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wannabe_cake_maker Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 9:02pm
post #1 of 9

Do you use different buttercream icings depending on the occasion and the type of people you are serving?

I would think American BC would be the best for kiddies, and then maybe IMBC or SMBC for adults. What do you use, why and when?

I have a cake coming up for all adults and was thinking of trying out the IMBC but don't want something that tastes like a stick of butter.

Would anyone be willing to post their tried, tested and true recipes?

8 replies
rlowry03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlowry03 Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 9:21pm
post #2 of 9

I recently got on the SMBC train and I never want to get off! I use a combination of the Well Dressed Cake recipe on here and FromScratchSF's recipe on her blog. I use 6.75 oz of egg whites (about 6 eggs for me), 1 C sugar, 3 sticks of butter, a dash of salt, and about 1.5 T of vanilla. You can also change out flavorings.

I want to go exclusively SMBC, but there's a good chance I'll stick with american buttercream for kiddies.

wannabe_cake_maker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wannabe_cake_maker Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 5:26pm
post #3 of 9

Anybody else?

pj22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pj22 Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 8:03pm
post #4 of 9

How about the cooked flour frosting for all occasions? It is light and creamy and not very sweet and a good cross between buttercream and whipped cream.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 8:27pm
post #5 of 9

smbc and imbc taste the same, but smbc is easier to make. Lots of good recipes for both on this site. i,m always trying different peoples recipes for smbc , like them all. But for imbc, i only use the whimsical bakehouse imbc recipe. or dede wilson. Love them both. I do think i still like the wbc one the best. ha! good luck

elliespartycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliespartycake Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 8:35pm
post #6 of 9

I use ONLY SMBC. My customers love it and I can flavor it so many ways. I love that it keeps in the fridge for a few days or in the freezer for weeks.

The only time I even consider using an American BC is when I'm providing a cake for an outdoor event and it'll be too warm (80+degrees).

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 8:40pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj22

How about the cooked flour frosting for all occasions? It is light and creamy and not very sweet and a good cross between buttercream and whipped cream.

I live in Texas so in the summer i only make American bc. when it's 110 outside the icing melts in a few mnts. I would also recommend abc for kids. anything else i would use smbc. i have tried the cooked flour icing. loved it but had problems when i put it in the refrigerator and then take it out it coagulates and gets curdled. am i the only one that this happens to? even on a cake.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 8:45pm
post #8 of 9

I use a lot of different buttercreams, but IMBC is my favorite. I have also used the whipped cream buttercream in the most saved recipes section of this site, as well as a crusting recipe that Jeff Arnett shared with me.

I do use the crusting recipe more for kids, and IMBC for adults. I use the whipped cream buttercream for children and adults and everyone likes it. It doesn't crust though so it won't work if you need something that crusts.

mariacakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariacakestoo Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 9:08pm
post #9 of 9

Meringue buttercreams everytime, for every occasion. One of the things I capitalize on for standing out from the rest in my area, is not using ABC ever.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%