Order Of Bridal Consultations....silly Question?

Business By Pebbles1727 Updated 29 Sep 2011 , 2:42pm by indydebi

Pebbles1727 Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 9:00pm
post #1 of 9

Hi Everyone,
I got a few brides, who are shopping for a cake vendor. I got a question, does that matter where the consult appointment falls in among others, i.e. is it a better to schedule before bride meets anyone else or after she met all the rest? I do understand that a lot depends on every vendor she meets, and taste, style, price, etc., but in general...is there some kind of statistical probability in bride's decision making? Kinda like, if I'm the last she meets, she probably already made up her mind and just playing around now, so I'm just wasting my time?

8 replies
bakemeacake123 Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 9:38pm
post #2 of 9

Hi there,

am new to posting on the forum but not new to Cake central....it's not a silly question at all, there will always be competition out there, but you have to believe in your designs, your flavours and creative flare and i think if you do then your passion and enthausiasm will shine through, and the bride will see this, and at the end of the day you win some and you lose some!!

Happy Baking

jenmat Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 10:03pm
post #3 of 9

um, that's an interesting question. I usually don't know if they've seen others before me or after me.

I guess first impressions are best. If I'm the first person she is seeing then I will be her measuring stick.

Since I don't have a lot of competition in my style (those in my area are trying to go modern, but just aren't "getting" it yet!), hopefully she will be really excited with what I have to offer and if she goes somewhere else to taste and look she will be comparing them with me.

I have made the brides wait too long, if I'm super booked up, and then I will often get them canceling on me because they found someone at another tasting before we even sit down and talk, but really that's ok, I'd rather have them cancel the tasting than just come in for free cake knowing they are booking with someone else. Now THOSE are the meetings I can't stand!

So I guess get 'em in, get 'em fed, get 'em booked!!!

KoryAK Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 10:59pm
post #4 of 9

Be first!

Pebbles1727 Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 11:24pm
post #5 of 9

Even if it's appointments that are scheduled for the same day? My mama always said that in competition, you never want to go first, because the judges are more stingy on scores waiting for something better down the line....just wondering...

mariacakestoo Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 11:28pm
post #6 of 9

I kind of get off on hearing about the other places they've been. It's never pretty. icon_biggrin.gif

Katiebelle74 Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 9:20am
post #7 of 9

I hate being the first one they see....the consult takes longer as they are clueless about the process, do not know what they want, do not have a feel for what they are looking at, are not used to hearing the prices. The ones who have consults with me after they have been elsewhere usually book. The ones who do tastings with me first in their shopping are less likely to book.

Pebbles1727 Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 2:29pm
post #8 of 9

Thank you, that was my thought too, so I went ahead and booked last. Their appointments are back to back, so I would think they will be showing up for all of them to make their decision. Thanks you all for your help. My brides normally just taste with me, this is the first one who is shopping...I'm sure she will not be the last icon_smile.gif
Thanks again, P

indydebi Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 2:42pm
post #9 of 9

I'm not so sure it makes a diff (although like mentioned above, I did like hearing the 'horror' stories of other tastings!)

Had one bride who scheduled 7 cake tastings in one day. She was from out of state and had to do things on the few trips she had to this area. I was her 7th tasting and was sure her taste buds would be dead by then. This was also back in the say when my tasting appts were strictly white cake with white icing. Period. When she called to book with me, she told me, "We knew before we even got back in our car that you were the one."

But I also encouraged comparison shopping if I was the first one. One bride expressed surprise that I would encourage her to check out my competition. I said, "That's because I'm arrogantly confident enough to know that once you do some comparisons, you'll be back." And I reminded her of this conversation when she came back and booked. icon_biggrin.gif

Being first also allows you to set the standard. One mother LUV'D my Dreamsicle Icing. She specifically requested an orange/cream cheese icing at her other upcoming tastings. She told me "none of them met your standard .. that's why we're back."

Antoher bride willingly gave up her deposit with another baker once she attended my tasting. (Which is why you should ALWAYS request a deposit they are not willing to walk away from!)

So there are advantages to both.

Quote by @%username% on %date%