Cupcakes Split When I Core Them!

Baking By Cream Updated 3 Oct 2011 , 2:23pm by socosweets

Cream Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 7:45pm
post #1 of 11

I have a lovely chocolate cupcake recipe which I use all the time. However when I come to core them to add fillings the whole cupcake can split so when it's eaten it falls apart! I dont over bake or underbake them tho the tops are a little hard and cracked in places.

Why does this happen? Is there anything I can do to stop this from happening?

Thanks so much

10 replies
pj22 Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 8:07pm
post #2 of 11

I never core my cupcakes to fill them. Instead, I fill a pastry bag with filling and attach a star tip or the Bismark tip that is long and thin and insert that into the center of the cupcake. Apply gentle pressure to fill the cupcake, you will feel it when it gets full. Add a swirl or decorate as usual. HTH!

KoryAK Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 8:12pm
post #3 of 11

Ditto to PP

Cream Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 8:17pm
post #4 of 11

Thanks guys! Hopefully that will solve my problem !

leah_s Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 8:33pm
post #5 of 11

I have never cored a cupcake.

pinklatte Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 8:44pm
post #6 of 11

I'm not sure why it's happening to yours. I core mine with a cheap one I got from Ross and they have never split. The one I use is metallic. I let them cool off and then core them and add the filling right away.

imagenthatnj Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 6:37pm
post #7 of 11

What are you using? One of the new "cupcake corers"? Or an apple corer? I've heard that a few cupcake corers barely leave anything on the sides, they're too wide.

augurey Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 9:14pm
post #8 of 11

I've only cored cupcakes on one occasion using the corer that imagenthatnj posted the link to. I let the cupcakes cool down and then core. Worked well for me (though I'll be doing it for the second time this weekend, so hopefully it'll still work).

I do have the larger corer for cupcakes however have not used it yet. I don't think I really plan on using it for regular sized cupcakes, but would rather use it for a jumbo cupcake (which I have yet to make).

I only use the Bismark tip if I only want a small amount of filling; an apple corer for a bit more filling.

cistebycrystal Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 2:22pm
post #9 of 11

Maybe you are going down too deep. I actually use an apple corer and go only about 3/4 down and it works really nicely.

amaryllis756 Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 10:16am
post #10 of 11

I core mine all the time, with no problems. I do over 120 a week. I think maybe you are going too deep. Mine are cooled. They are nicer to work on the next day. Sometimes too fresh of cupcakes can be a problem. I recently lost my original corer and am using a plastic one that is shaped like a flower. Biggest pain in the (you know where) but until I find my orginal one, we are working with that one. I think a fairy came in my house and stole it, because I had it one minute, where I decorate, and it was gone the next. I have no idea where it went, unless, I accidently threw it away. It just disappeared. It has been haunting me ever since. Looked everywhere for it. on the floor, under the table, under my working stand. Just gone. Oh well, sorry to go on and on. Just baffled.

socosweets Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 2:23pm
post #11 of 11

I core my cupcakes but I dont use a apple/cupcake core. I use a pearing knife and cut at like a 45* angle in a circle that way I can control how wide and deep I go with the hole.

Quote by @%username% on %date%