Green Carrots In My Carrot Cake

Baking By robbynjaye Updated 2 Oct 2011 , 2:15am by costumeczar

robbynjaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robbynjaye Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 7:09pm
post #1 of 8

Hello!

I'm hoping someone can help me resolve this icon_sad.gif Everytime I make carrot cake, the carrots turn green within a day or two. So far, no one has said anything but I'm afraid of that day! I've read that it can be b/c of too much baking soda. So i reduced the amount in the cake by a 1/2 tsp. the carrots are still turning green icon_redface.gif

What kind of carrots is best to buy? i currently buy already shredded carrots in a bag. SHould i be buying whole carrots and peel off the skin then shred them? PLEASE HELP! i want to rectify this asap!

Thanks so much!

7 replies
Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 7:51pm
post #2 of 8

I've heard of this before. It has never happened to me, but I do use whole carrots that I have peeled and shredded myself. Some say if it is not the amount of baking soda, it can be that the baking soda was not thoroughly mixed into the dry ingredients. That is why it is always best to sift the dry ingredients together. Good distribution of everything.

I think if this happens often, the next idea might be to blanch you carrots first. Dip them into boiling water for up to 30 seconds then stop their cooking process by submerging them in ice water.

Don't leave your cake to cool any longer than 10 minutes in your metal pan. Sometimes that might be a reason. Oxidation process.

That's about all I can come up with.

HTH

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 8:22pm
post #3 of 8
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 11:02pm
post #4 of 8

It's the peels. I thought I'd be smart once and left them on (vitamins AND saves time!) and I got green flecks - looked like zucchini bread lol. Went back to peeling the carrots and the green is gone.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 1:39am
post #5 of 8

I use peeled, shredded carrots, and the same recipe every time, and they sometimes turn green and sometimes don't. Today I had one that had a lot of green in it, so I'm planning on telling the guy at the reception site about it so knows that it's just the carrots. I didn't change the amount of soda in the recipe, so I don't know why it happened. No peels were involved, either icon_smile.gif

(say in a spooky voice) It's a carrot mystery, oooohhhhh! detective.gif

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 12:03am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

I use peeled, shredded carrots, and the same recipe every time, and they sometimes turn green and sometimes don't.

Ditto. And, my recipe does not contain baking soda; it's a pound cake. So much for the theory about baking soda as culprit.

CVB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CVB Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 12:25am
post #7 of 8

I might be incorrect but it sounds like you might be buying pre-shredded carrots. If so how can you be certain that there is no peel?

Last week I had green flecks. The one time that I was lazy and did not peel them first and shredded them the day before. This week I peeled and shredded them the day I needed them and no green.

So it is either shredding ahead of time or the peel. Either way I am peeling and shredding the day I need them.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 2:15am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CVB

I might be incorrect but it sounds like you might be buying pre-shredded carrots. If so how can you be certain that there is no peel?

Last week I had green flecks. The one time that I was lazy and did not peel them first and shredded them the day before. This week I peeled and shredded them the day I needed them and no green.

So it is either shredding ahead of time or the peel. Either way I am peeling and shredding the day I need them.

Ahha, good point! And this just reminded me that I forgot to tell the people at the reception site about the green carrots! Oops! icon_surprised.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%