Just Had To Say....

Decorating By pmarks0 Updated 28 Sep 2011 , 2:47am by jules5000

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 5:59pm
post #1 of 20

I made the most awesoome tasting cake for my birthday this weekend, nothing fancy regarding decorating, but the taste, OMG!

I used these three recipes. I've made the banana cake before and it's awesome, but I really wanted to try the caramel filling recipe and I wanted a crusting buttercream that wasn't me modifying an existing one that I had.

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/3843/a-babana-cake/

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6851/thick-caramel-sauce-or-filling/

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7625/crusting-chocolate-buttercream-frosting/

Just had to say, and thanks to those who posted them here. icon_smile.gif

19 replies
cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 6:32pm
post #2 of 20

That's great!

I recognize the caramel recipe, it's my go to recipe. Isn't it absolutely delicious?!?!?!

In fact I have some in my fridge right now, I may have to treat myself to a spoonful...but I can never stop at just one. icon_cry.gificon_lol.gif

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 6:49pm
post #3 of 20

SO, pmarks0: I assume you just used the caramel sauce as a filling on your cake? This does sound awesome. Thanks for sharing.

pmarks0 Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 7:07pm
post #4 of 20

I did use it as a filling. It was totally awesome. And so good by the spoonful too. And we also spooned it onto some apples. I may warm up the extra and dip some apples.

Kmm0880 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kmm0880 Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 7:45pm
post #5 of 20

I wanted to use that carmel sauce as a filling in a cake but was unsure about refrigeration. I know that you store it in the fridge, but after you fill the cake can you leave it room temp? I have searched and never found the answer icon_smile.gif
Thanks!

pmarks0 Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 7:52pm
post #6 of 20

There was a comment in the recipe itself where the poster said that someone had checked with their health dept and they said it was okay to leave out. I actually haven't put the left over into the fridge as yet.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 8:12pm
post #7 of 20

I keep telling myself I am going to try Jodie's recipe. Sounds like it is worth trying! icon_smile.gif

pmarks0 Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 8:15pm
post #8 of 20

It's definitely worth it. I have had it saved in my favorite recipes for ages, and finally tried it after reading another thread that mentioned it. I don't like super sweet stuff, but even I was eating it by the spoonful.

TexasSugar Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 8:23pm
post #9 of 20

Considering I live alone, trying it might not be a good thing then. Can we say let's skip dinner and just have a bowl of caramel for dessert?

pmarks0 Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 8:36pm
post #10 of 20

@TexasSugar - I so know what you mean. LOL.

What I forgot to mention in my original post about the chocolate butter cream is that I used the rest of the whipping cream I had bought for the caramel, in place of the milk called for in the recipe.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 8:49pm
post #11 of 20

I make it all the time. DELICIOUS!!!

TexasSugar Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 8:52pm
post #12 of 20

I happen to currently have an open thing of whipping cream in the fridge from my chicken pot pies last week. I also have 4 cans of condensed milk that my mom bought me at Sam's thinking it was Dulce De Leche. I didn't have the heart to tell her they were the wrong ones.

I wonder if the caramel would freezer well? Hmmmm....

Spooky_789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spooky_789 Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 9:07pm
post #13 of 20

TexasSugar, is it sweetened condensed milk that you have? If so, you can remove the label from the can, place it in a small sauce pan filled about 1/2 - 3/4 of the way up the side of the can, and gently boil for about 3 hours, turning the can over every half hour or so. You may need to add additional water to the pan so that it doesn't all evaporate out.

Remove from the pan, let cool completely, then open the can. Voila! Caramel sauce just like the Dolce de leche. Refrigerate any left overs.

TexasSugar Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 9:30pm
post #14 of 20

Spooky, I've done that many of times in the past. I love the ease of using the already done stuff, since I don't have to wait for it to cool off. icon_wink.gif

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 10:05pm
post #15 of 20

Texassugar, I make 1/2 batches of the caramel all the time because seriously it's dangerous to have too much leftover. lol

I freeze the remaining half of the condensed milk for the next time I need it.

Definitely try the recipe you won't regret it. It makes wonderful turtle candy also.

TexasSugar Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 10:28pm
post #16 of 20

Okay, y'all have me convinced, I think I shall be baking something this weekend, or getting my spoons all clean and ready, which ever sounds best at the time.

pmarks0 Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 11:30pm
post #17 of 20

[quote="cakestyles" It makes wonderful turtle candy also.[/quote]

That's what I'm going to try with some of the left over caramel.

Has anyone ever dipped apple slices as opposed to whole apples? How do you get the cut side dry enough to have the caramel adhere to it?

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 12:08am
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmarks0

[quote="cakestyles" It makes wonderful turtle candy also.

Has anyone ever dipped apple slices as opposed to whole apples? How do you get the cut side dry enough to have the caramel adhere to it?[/quote]

Well, I don't actually dip the apple slices because of that very problem (slippage), so for me, it is apple slice in the left hand, next to the plate of apple slices, and spoon in the right hand over the bowl with the caramel: dinner!

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 12:09am
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmarks0

[quote="cakestyles" It makes wonderful turtle candy also.

Has anyone ever dipped apple slices as opposed to whole apples? How do you get the cut side dry enough to have the caramel adhere to it?[/quote]

Well, I don't actually dip the apple slices because of that very problem (slippage), so for me, it is apple slice in the left hand, next to the plate of apple slices, and spoon in the right hand over the bowl with the caramel: dinner!

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 2:47am
post #20 of 20

well, I had a wonderful dessert on vacation last week and it consisted of apples, sliced, whipped cream, toasted pecans and caramel sauce. It was awesome. So easy to do. you slice your apple and put the slices in a bowl that will allow the apples to stand on end and fan out. pipe a big bunch of whipped cream in center like a tower. Put warmed caramel sauce over this and nuts and a cherry(or leave the cherry off if you don't like cherries). I thought I was in heaven. It was called the Branson Apple(Branson, MO)at Mr. B's Ice-cream shop. Delish.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%