Gumpaste Figures In The Fridge

Decorating By Panel7124 Updated 27 Sep 2011 , 2:53pm by Panel7124

Panel7124 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Panel7124 Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 10:34am
post #1 of 6

I have a cake with cream cheese filling in the fridge and will add gumpaste figures on the top only when the client comes to pick it up. I covered the figures in pearl glaze which hardens quickly to give them some protection as I know she would need the cake for the party only in the evening (5 - 6 hours in the fridge). I told the client it would be safer to add figures at the last moment before the party starts but she doesn't want to touch the cake. Can the glaze help to prevent damage of gumpaste figures in the fridge? Does anybody have this experience?

5 replies
auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 12:26pm
post #2 of 6

The glaze will not protect the gumpaste, and gumpaste does not go in the refridgerator, ever ..

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 12:46pm
post #3 of 6

Agreed. You've got a cake disaster in 3 . . . 2 . . .

Panel7124 Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 1:59pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by auzzi

gumpaste does not go in the refridgerator, ever ..

I know it very well icon_smile.gif, that's why I told the client. Ok, must convince her to keep them separately, out of the fridge. Thanks a lot both of you for sharing your experience, it's only the clients that do not understand... icon_twisted.gif

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 2:10pm
post #5 of 6

I've had a lot of experience with gum paste and the refrigerator. And it really depends on how dry your gum paste is. If it has dried thoroughly and completely, you can have it in the fridge and there won't be a problem...now for how long, I'm not sure because whenever I've done it, it's only been for like overnight...beyond that I don't know. It's not like fondant once it's dry...there doesn't seem to be any condensation issues. But like I said, it has to be completely dry and hard. If you can avoid having to do it I would...but don't be afraid of a major catastrophe if you do.

Panel7124 Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 2:53pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

I've had a lot of experience with gum paste and the refrigerator. And it really depends on how dry your gum paste is. If it has dried thoroughly and completely, you can have it in the fridge and there won't be a problem...now for how long, I'm not sure because whenever I've done it, it's only been for like overnight...beyond that I don't know. It's not like fondant once it's dry...there doesn't seem to be any condensation issues. But like I said, it has to be completely dry and hard. If you can avoid having to do it I would...but don't be afraid of a major catastrophe if you do.

Thanks carmijok (really like the idea of your gender reveal cake)! I've let them dry for 3 days, don't know if it's enough but they were rock hard. I agree to avoid the fridge if possible for the gumpaste. Never had problems with fondant. I was only wondering if the glaze on gumpaste can help in some way, but if auzzi and leah said no, I believe them icon_wink.gif Better prevent than despair later. Anyhow, I'll leave a small hard gumpaste ball in the fridge - one plain, another one glazed, I'm curious what and WHEN will happen icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%