How Much Do You Charge For Complex Design?

Decorating By KimmyKatCakes Updated 27 Sep 2011 , 1:33am by BlakesCakes

KimmyKatCakes Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 12:43am
post #1 of 3

I have a special request for a 5 layer variety of white to dark pink layer with a ruffle design on the outside. Baby smash cake to match. Baby smash cake is dairy,egg and soy free, which I will have to buy special ingredients for and I had to buy the tip to make the ruffle. I charge $2.50 for buttercream which this 9" will serve 55 according to the charts. (she only needs it to serve 30 but is set on this cake, I offered 3 layers to keep costs down and she said no). How much extra should this design or special baby cake cost. I am newly registered in Arizona and have only done a few cakes so far for non friends. I don't want to under charge or over charge.

2 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 1:20am
post #2 of 3

Well for starters any type of specialty cake whether gluten free etc should be double the cost because the ingredients alone are expensive so you will have to price them out.The 5 torted layers are essentially 2 -1/2 two inch cakes.You may want to charge extra for the specific color and filling flavors.The ruffle on the outside is very easy to do..I don't think it will feed 55 as there isn't really anymore cake than a regular 2 inch ,2 layer cake except the extra skinny layer.I would guess it will only feed about 25-30 at the most since an 8 inch double layer feeds 24.I would charge close to $90.00-$100.00 maybe more but that depends on where you live and the cake prices there.

BlakesCakes Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 1:33am
post #3 of 3

Well, I don't get 55 servings for a 9" round, 5" tall cake.........I use the Wilton party chart and get 24. The smaller wedding servings come in at 32. Maybe with the taller slices, I'd call it 30 & 40? So the cake seems about the right size for her needs.

I can't see buying a <$2 tip as an issue, or dying the batter pink, either. Piping the ruffles isn't terrribly time consuming...So, in my world, no upcharges for the main cake.

Now, my smash cakes are 4" rounds decorated to coordinate with the main cake and I don't charge extra for them. If I did a simple, coordinating, ruffled cake, I wouldn't charge extra for it.

If I had to bake a cake and carve it into a cupcake shape, or go to any special trouble, I'd definitely charge extra for it. In my case, $15.

Quote by @%username% on %date%